• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

1961 penny rim problem

23 posts in this topic

Noticed this rim after I poked the sharp edge into my finger. The rim looks like it has started to separate from the rest of the coin. Any thoughts on this will be welcome. Thanks, Pat Penny1961minterrorrim.jpgPenny1961rimdamage-1.jpgrimdamage-1.jpg

That's pretty neat, if I'm not mistaken, it appears to be what is termed a "broadstrike" a coin that was partially struck outside the collar

(the collar holds the coin in place and determines the diameter at the same time, while being struck)

This is a real "error" coin and because people actually collect errors as such, it will sell for a small premium.

Nice find.

Edit Note: I was mistaken, as pointed out by other posters, the bezel can still be seen in the reverse image.

My bad.

wooden thank you. the rim caught me off gaurd :) i love some good errors :)

also might they call that a railroaded rim? or something.

A true railroad rim will be 360 degrees around the coin where half the coin is held by the collar with reeding and the other half will be slick but expanded to a larger diameter than the reeded edge, so it looks like a wheel from a train when ejected.

These rail road rims appeared on large coins, like Morgans. They are highly sought after by collectors.

Hate to break it to you, I had one similar and it was just an old piece that someone had inserted into a collar that they carried on a key chain. The piece that held it onto the keychain has since fallen off. Sorry to be the harbinger of bad news.

plausible
When did you join the Myth Busters! Anyhow, not only plausible, but true. Take a look at the pictures... it's really the only possible explanation.

So this means I should be able to pry this thing off the penny? I seem to be batting zero on my on my pennies but my 1910 5c seems to have genuine error

Thanks again everyone,

Pat

There, there. I'll make it all go away. When the icebergs thaw and go away on Lake Michigan(if they ever do this winter) I'll skip it out into the water and it'll never be seen again. Maybe.....

Pat

How about those 500 or so ice fisherman on Lake Eire that got swept out from shore on a 8 mile long ice berg! Some had to leave their ATVs, portable shanties and other equipment.