• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

$ 2400 for a 1917 TYPE I MS65 FH !!

19 posts in this topic

Perfect storm..... older ngc holder, great color, high enough grade, FH and a lot of looks, a lot of internet bidders and then bam a floor bidder really gets to see it up close and thought do I hav an upgrade or a pq or great enough eye appeal/color blah blah blah...

I watched the bidding, it did move up fast from $ 950 once it came up .

Very nice coin but IMO not for over 2 times the typical MS 65 FH price.

Maybe it is an MS 66 .

Here is an MS62 coin that went for better then MS63 and almost MS 64 money .

http://coins.ha.com/common/view_item.php?Sale_No=1122&Lot_No=1282

Beautiful toning !!

Mark Feld how did this one look in person?

That one I remember, and I liked it. But the bidding was already well above my limit by the time I started entering my bids.

Edited to add: If the 1917 Quarter is the one I'm thinking of, I thought it had a great look to it, but a bit too much stacking friction on Liberty's leg, for my taste.

ok in the eye appeal dept not great but nice but not great

as mark says some stacking friction

and an available common coin

in this current slabbing market break it out of the holder and you will get killed on value

now someone out there thinks it is an upgrade

or super pq

or has a customer for it

or for whatever reason has a need to buy this specific coin at any price

and this is okie in fact great

such is the coin industry

Edited to add: If the 1917 Quarter is the one I'm thinking of, I thought it had a great look to it, but a bit too much stacking friction on Liberty's leg, for my taste.

Looking at the photo, that was my first thought as well.

If it has been stacked, and has friction, would that make it AU? hm:baiting:

If the images are accurate, then Ms. Liberty's right leg, along with the lower part of her dress, would have precluded any bid from me at an MS level.

yes it woujld make it au but of course wirh stacking friction in only one place and the rest of the coin is gem it will sell for at least ms 63 money so i could see it in an ms63 holder

as it is then worth 63 money

a true 65 will have absolutely no FRICTION ON THE KNEE OR EVEN A SLIGHT GREY CAST

the liability with this coin is break it out and you got a killer au-65 that is again worth 63 money easily and saleable for this amount if not a little more but not at 65 money

but remember itis a subjective market

and this is in my minds eye clearly not many tohers

so you pays your money and you takes your chances

same with all the graded pcgs/ngc bust halves in choice to gem unc with rub

i look at the coin and see the price and askmyself what is the coinworth cash out of this holder right now??

if it is the same as the price i got to pay maybe higher sometimes then i will consider buying it if not i pass

as there are many other coins to buy out thereand i do not need holder liability or burials

a true 65 will have absolutely no FRICTION ON THE KNEE OR EVEN A SLIGHT GREY CAST
If that standard is applied, there are hardly any MS65's (or higher) in existence.

Lets look at the other end of the spectrum .

http://coins.ha.com/common/view_item.php?Sale_No=1122&Lot_No=1281#photo#

This coin went for way below wholesale. I see what looks like a stain on the observe and a ding on the chin. I was going to bid on this because the bid before it went live was so low.

I e-mailed Mark Feld and asked him if he remembered the coin when he viewed the lots earlier in the week. He did not recall this coin as one he liked. He did talk me out of buying the coin. There were no floor bidders and only one internet bid when it came up for auction . This most likely means there was an issue with this coin.

Michael did you see this coin ??

So what is everyone’s opinion on this one ??

Would it have been worth the risk even if it was a low grade MS 64 for $ 2500 ??

Does the color seem off from the pictures of the coin in the slab ??

I feel good about not bidding on it. Now I will have more money to go after Mike Kings Bust Halves next month . :/

If it has been stacked, and has friction, would that make it AU? hm:baiting:

Not the way the TPGs grade. ;) But in my eyes (and Mark's and Tom's and Michael's), it would preclude a 65 grade.

IMO, TPG's typically don't grade coins with only high-point wear (or stacking friction, or whatever) less than mint state -- in order for a coin to be AU, there typically has to be evidence of luster imparement in the fields. High point friction, unless it's really bad, isn't enough.

Michael did you see this coin ??

no i did not see this coin but i did take a look see at your link and mark feld did you a big favor if i do say so myself

i find that ngc and higher grade mintstate bust halves generally do not mix well and are usually au-63 coins in choice to gem unc. holders

PASS..........................