• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

The goal being liquidity, what would you do with these "problem coins"

9 posts in this topic

11 remaining coins in my type set are in SEGS, NTC slabs and 1 in NNC. Yesterday I sent in a batch of SEGS to PCGS for crossover, which leaves 4 SEGS, 4 NTC and 1 NNC. Of these I have 5 coins that are decent pieces but have "issues". With my ultimate goal being ease of liquidity, may I impose on your knowledge and skills again and get your advice.

Here are 2 SEGS half cents: brightened considerably. Actually, I don't see a problem with the 1806 and LIBERTY is quite sharp with coin in hand. I think this one would cross. The 1797 is a mess, but a mint made mess. I don't expect NGC would touch this one, and PCGS would probably "genuine" it. What would you do with the 1797. I tried better pictures on this one but got the shadow from the angle of the sun. Thanks!! RI AL

segshalfcentsslab-2-1.jpg

segshalfcentsslabrev-1-1.jpg1797001-1.jpg

1797r2-1.jpg

2 silver dollars...hopefully these will scan better

The 1795 is cleaned, but does not show hairlines from abrasive. I know PCGS will certify cleaned early dollars but would this one qualify? The 1873 has quite a few very light scratches on the shield, which don't look natural...still SEGS gave it a blue slab which I believed meant it is not a problem coin. (Pink, like the 1795 dollar I believe did indicate problem coin).

What's the smartest move for these, keeping liquidity as the #1 factor?

Thanks again!!!!! RI AL

dollarsobverse-1.jpg

dollarsreverse-1.jpg

I would send them to NCS for details grading. However, the 1806 label does not mention a problem. "Worn dies" are typical of the issue. On the 1797, "massive die failier" isn't a problem description either, though I have no idea if the labels are correct.

Here is the last "problem coin" I can't make up my mind what to do with. In a NNC slab now. I posted her before and got many great suggestions from you guys but I just can't decide. I'm leaning toward NCS because she could use a facelift on the obverse (that brown stuff is not gunk nor corrosion, at least under the microscope). What I'm afraid of is that NCS will return her to me in a nice slab all shined up, and I don't want that.

The obverse picture is lightened to show that there is still a bit of life in the old gal. I guess there is always "genuine" from PCGS, but if NCS could improve the look of her a bit, I would enjoy her a lot more. Any opinions (sorry to ask again but I am torn.) She is crooked in the slab too. Gee...maybe she could make the NCS coin of the month?? :kidaround:

Ri AL

1795halfdime005-1.jpg

1795halfdime002-2-1.jpg

Ooops...posted this in the wrong place. Sorry!!

Last week I got an auction pulled off of e-Bay because I was selling a coin in a "no-no" slab, but I did not mention the slab company in the heading. They pulled it because I named the slab company in the description, even though it was clearly visible in the photos. Anyway, here's one from PCI. 140298628888 and it clearly states PCI in the heading. I guess E-Bay can't keep track of everything...

Oh, I just went back in to E-Bay and found there are currently 3 SEGS listings with SEGS mentioned in the heading. Now that I go back and check again, there are a bunch of PCI listings. Just search PCI and there they are along with about 30 NTC slabs. A couple of ACG (not Canadian) are there too all with the slab names in the heading.

Guess I was just one of the lucky ones... :frustrated:

PCGS does the whole 'Genuine' thing now, so unless a coin needs to be conserved, I'd go straight to PCGS for a genuine holder.

Ditto! You'll get better money for them too, I bet.

PCGS does the whole 'Genuine' thing now, so unless a coin needs to be conserved, I'd go straight to PCGS for a genuine holder.

Ditto! You'll get better money for them too, I bet.

I not a PCGS man but that is what I would do also. Make them more sell-able!!

:takeit: