• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Question about Customs duty

12 posts in this topic

Hi

I just figured out how to fully insure my package(of coins) when I ship to United States from my country, but I wonder if the recipient have to pay Customs duty if I do so.

Has anyone bought coins from outside U.S?

Did you have to pay Customs duty? If you had to, then do you remember the rate you had to pay?

And did you have to go through a complicated procedure for paying?

toyoi donot know but since they are yourcoins and you are not selling them just getting them grsaded and then back to you i know you do not have to pay customs

i will try to call customs tomorrow and get some sort of answer foryou but youcan never pin them down as even they do not knoew for sure from my experiences with them and they are the usa customs people

well such is the fed bureaucraty

HI Toyo .

When ever I get coins back from grading they have in big black felt writing

Returning to sender no customs due

Never had a problem with them because I may of already paid customs for them at another time

Cheers

toyo after some investigation from what i could come up with the above two posters are correct and i am in agreement with them!!

good luck and keep us on here informed about your experiences (thumbs u

Link to US Customs

Toyo, this is getting close, there is a "question tab" where you may post this question directly to the agency.

Good luck, anytime you mess with the US Gov't getting answers is like finding a needle in a haystack.

Thank you all for the informations.

Those info helped a lot, thank you :)

(I also filled in the question form woodenjefferson linked....see what happens. thank you for the link)

I have bought many coins from outside the United States and never been requested or notified that I owed tax on them.

Were the sellers declaring the true values on the packages?

I have bought many coins from outside the United States and never been requested or notified that I owed tax on them.

Were the sellers declaring the true values on the packages?

I do not remember because I have not paid any attention to it, but my guess is that it has probably been some of both given the number of different sellers. Some of them have included public auctions and I would expect that they would be less likely to state another value.

I have had buyers ask me to lower the declared value and though I have done it occasionally, I will not do it on a "valuable" coin. I doubt that an insurance claim would be paid under those circumstances. My guess is that the same would apply to those shipping here.