• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Am going to crack out SEGS slabs. Any suggestions?

18 posts in this topic

Today's the day. I am cracking out several SEGS slabs and a couple NTC slabs for submission. Someone a while back said that SEGS slabs were harder to crack than some of the other companies. Does anyone have any last minute suggestions for me before I "do the deed"? I have vice grip, vice, towels, safety glasses ready to go. I have never cracked a slab before but the time has come.

Many thanks! RI AL

Good idea, Jaime.

I have scanned the first 8 that I will send in as soon as they are cracked. These are going to PCGS brcause I belong to their club too and haven't used my free submissions. If anyone sees any red flags on any of these, I would be MOST grateful for your input. Body bags do nothing to brighten my day! :mad:

I have several others that I will send into NGC, but in trying to re-up my expired subscription here, it won't accept my e-mail address (same one I have used for years) so I'll post those as soon as I figure out how to renew.

Many thanks for any input, guys. If the scans aren't clear enough, and someone detects a potential BB problem, PLEASE let me know and I'll try to photograph the coin and repost. I know this is somewhat of an imposition, but your help would be really appreciated!!! Scans will be large.

Now as I look at the back of the $2.50, there seems to be a disruption in the right wing feathers. Under the microscope, some of the lines are complete and some are missing. Error?? Damage??? On the 1837 half dime, chunk in right field is slab. The LIBERTY is BOLD but doesn't show in the scan. THANKS!!!! RI AL

segs2obv.jpg

segs2rev.jpg

segs1obv.jpg

segs1rev.jpg

No more BB's??? That's great. I was reading the submission form today and for crossovers, obviously they don't require cracking out of the old slabs. So, I packed the SEGS slags and 1 NTC slab up, included my 8 free certificate and shipped them off this afternoon. I did not send the Seated Dollar nor the $2.50 gold because the more I looked, the more I thought they were problematic. I substituted a couple 3 cent pieces in their place.

Now that BB's are dead in the water with PCGS, I think I will have about 6 or 7 pieces that I would like graded just "genuine". NCS will get a few pieces shortly too. The overall goal, no more mongrel slabs...even if I get "genuine" no grades, it will be better than some of those slabs I have.

I do have 4 pieces that I don't know what to do with, my 1795 dollar (cleaned), my 1795 half dime (looks like :censored: but it is a rare variety and potentially I think it might just clean up nicely...hopefully not to a bright luster when I send it off to NCS) , my 1797 half cent with "massive die failure" (SEGS). and my 1804 half cent "worn dies" SEGS. I will post pictures of these tomorrow and again, would be most grateful for any input. WHO should I send them to to get them in a respectable slab...or just leave them as is.

Brando, thanks for the kind words about my babies. PerryHall, I did send the 8 PCGS pieces out today as "cross at any grade".

Your thoughts and opinions are, as always, VERY much appreciated!!!

Many thanks. RI AL

Thanks for the "cracking slabs" link, Jamie. I guess it's not quite the high art form that I thought...heck...I have a vice, a freezer, a couple good screwdrivers and a hammer, but am currently lacking the nuke. :roflmao:

SEGS slabs are very tough! However, a hammer still splits them quite easily.

Those look like better-than-average coins compared to typical SEGS grading, so I'm guessing you targeted better coins in those holders?

Thanks for the hint, James_EarlyUS. As it turns out, I sent most of them to PCGS this afternoon for THEM to crossover, but I have 3 or 4 more that might get the screwdriver.

All the SEGS coins I scanned earlier today were bought raw. I sent them into SEGS when they first opened their doors, what...about 10 years ago or so. I am hoping that PCGS likes them as much as you do.

Appreciate the reply!!!

RI AL

All the SEGS coins I scanned earlier today were bought raw. I sent them into SEGS when they first opened their doors, what...about 10 years ago or so. I am hoping that PCGS likes them as much as you do.

Appreciate the reply!!!

RI AL

I see......thats why the coins are above average.....I hope you get good results!!

All sent to SEGS when they first opened. I can believe that and I hate the fact that you sent them all in. The 61 half dime, 53 dime, and 73 silver dollar are all SEGS 3 slabs from the first generation series of SEGS slabs. But the 37 1/2 dime, 21 dime and 1836 quarter are all in prototype slabs that were rejected and not intended for production use.

The only other specimen I have ever seen was one I turned up at Michigan state two years ago. I didn't know what it was, thought it might have been a new generation of slab so I showed it to Larry Briggs and he wanted to know where I got it because it was a prototype from back when they first started and it wasn't supposed to have gotten out. He said he hadn't seen any of them for years.

The NTC's are also seldom seen first generation slabs with the small size labels.

Nice looking coins, Al. I especially like the No stars 1837 coin. Why are you resubmitting them? If it is to gain a higher price to sell, I understand. If just curious-pretty expensive curiosity. They are well protected in the holders they are in.

By the way, when I remove coins from holders for my 7070, I use my shop band saw. No mess, no damage to the coins, and it takes 30 seconds(if you do this be sure to run a piece of wood thru to clean the heated plastic from the blade when done).

Good luck, whatever your reasoning.

Jim

JesBroken.

It's probably silly, but I want my type set to be uniform and all NGC or PCGS...maybe an NGC or 2. I have a smattering of ANACS and ICG that I am OK with. To be perfectly honest, I am thinking of resale...hopefully in the very long run..I am reminded from time to time that these darned kidney transplant thingies can start to go south suddenly...and if something happens...I want an easy sale for the wife. Already picked out the auction house too. I guess it's kind of writing a will...I just like to be prepared, though I have every intention of hanging on for another 75-80 years. I guess at age 136 I can join the shuffleboard, Tuesday night bingo scene. :roflmao:

(And anyway, the 8 submissions were freebies!!) ;) BUT if I were to start all over I think I would do the 70/70 thing you guys rave about.

RI AL

Conder101

I still have 5 segs slabs, and 4 NTC's and a lowly NNC. All of which I hope to crossover in the not too distant future. I probably won't bother with the NNC 1964 kennedy PR 69, but the other stuff is destined for new coffins eventually. The problem is that I'm not sure which is the right way to go with these, or maybe they should be left alone. Anyway, I'm going to post a few in U.S. coins and see what you guys think I should do, the goal being ease of liquidity when the time comes..

I understand completely, Al. My health has precipitated a complete change in my previous policies and, as you do, I wish my collection to be completely easily sold should needs be. I have never had a problem with SEGS slabs but some people might and certainly they would the other two. Best of luck in your submissions.

Jim