• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Coin Show Report - Parsippany, NJ

4 posts in this topic

Today I went to the 80+ dealer, first-Sunday-of-the-month show at Parisppany, NJ. As I've written in the past, this is reputed to be the best one-day show in the country. It features a wide range of coins and currency and an active bourse floor.

Today, very unexpectedly, the floor was packed when I got to the show at about 9:30. I thought the floor was substantially less crowded than usual at the November and December shows, but today the floor was as packed as it was a year and a half ago. I had to do a slow sideways shuffle to get down the middle aisle and I had to shove my way through the first aisle. I also saw a fair amount of business being done.

My first stop was at Tom Hyland's table. As others ATS have reported, Tom got to the show at 7:00 a.m. and never really got a chance to set up - he was that busy.

My next stop was at Larry Greenstone's table (ATS member SeaEagleCoins). He had some nice Bust halves as well as three Bust dollars in PCGS Genuine slabs. He also had his usual nice inventory of Buffalo nickels.

I next stopped at ATS member njcoincrank, who, in addition to the wooden medals AnkurJ described in his report ATS, was offering three miniature teapots, each made from an Indian Head cent by inmates of a Maine jail. He also showed me some of his Classic Commemorative ephemera - in this case, the letters from the Commemorative committee that accompanied individual coins: "This letter certifies that the coin enclosed is the 100th struck" sort-of-thing.

Finally, I chatted with Jon Lerner (ATS member ScarsdaleCoin), who completely threw me off by being in a different location! He had a very nice display of late-18th century and early-19th century Spanish colonial doubloons (8 Escudos) and a nicer than usual assortment of Tootsie Rolls.

And, as always, I must have seen six or eight fellow members of the New Jersey Numismatic Society, although two or three were conspicuous by their absence. (Our next meeting is February 9th at 7:30 pm at the Helen Chase Room of the Madison, NJ public library, by the way.)

Today was almost entirely social for me, so I didn't really notice that many stand-out coins. However, Steve Sabbatino of SLQ Coins had two really nice 1795 dollars and a very nice 1795 half, all in PCGS slabs (VF-30, VF-35 and XF-40, if I recall correctly).

It's too bad that I don't have the opportunity to attend that show much anymore, Dave, because it was always a treat. In the late 1990s I may have visited the jail, or at least an associated historical building, where the teapots were made.