• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Would you travel to Europe or overseas to attend a coin show for fun?

8 posts in this topic

I have kicked this idea around for years. I hear there are several super coin shows in Switzerland, Austria, Germany, etc. that are rather interesting. I would love to schedule a trip of two or three weeks around a European coin show. I also have been told you can pick off US coins from European coins dealers since their grading is much more strict than ours. What say you?

TRUTH

Mein Deutsch ist nicht gut. Vor vielen yahre hatte ich Deutch im Schule gelernt. Jetzt kann ich nicht mit Leuten spechen. Keine Deutchen leben heir, nur Amerikanisher mit schlect English.

Herr TRUTH

Mein Deutsch ist nicht gut. Vor vielen yahre hatte ich Deutch im Schule gelernt. Jetzt kann ich nicht mit Leuten spechen. Keine Deutchen leben heir, nur Amerikanisher mit schlect English.

Herr TRUTH

Actually you'll do just fine in Germany, English is almost a 2nd language, unless you're way out in the sticks - If you are out in the country just remember "Zwai bier" and you'll probably do just fine

Is that TWO BEER?

I would NOT travel to a coin show that far away if the coin show was the main reason. I would rather hire an agent (i.e., dealer) to represent me.

Of course, I have flirted with the idea of going to Honolulu or Thailand for ... coins! wink.gif

EVP

I won’t go. Traveling with coins is a MAJOR pain in the butt here in the U.S. with all of the inspections, lose mouthed inspectors and other searches. I barely dream of what it would be like in foreign countries where you might have less rights.

Also, if you come back to the U.S. with more than $10,000 worth of imports there are treasury forms to fill out and duties to pay on items that are less than 100 years old. Then you have the security situation of caring very valuable merchandise over long distances.

No, no I love my coins, but they don’t get to go on vacation with me because its too much trouble. AND I think I’ll stick to the U.S. for coin buying trips.

Truth,

Your idea is appealing but I'm sure that most would feel out of their element unless they have roots in that country (in-laws, family, comfortable with the language, etc.)

My understanding is that there may be lots of counterfeits and over-pricing in Europe. And, as mentioned, customs and security may be a pain.

Interesting idea, though.