• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Towards a Tirekicker Free Zone

54 posts in this topic

A friend in the business, Mike says to me "I hate tirekickers, especially if they spend a lot of time blocking real customers from my cases at shows. The most obnoxious thing they can do is lay their books and other garbage on my cases while looking at the coins of the dealer setup next to me. I simply shove their stuff off my table and it can be quite interesting to see it roll all over the bourse room. My worst experience was one who had a seizure at my table. Luckily he did not break the glass when he zapped out. When it happened, I simply got up, walked away, and looked at some coins. They finally got some medics to take him away thank gosh "

What is your reaction to this? In addition, some find that not having a junk box at shows can help bring about a tire kicker free zone. Other times this can stimulate interest and lead to sales of other items.

Comments?

My coin dealer has a small shop so when there are a couple of "tirekickers" in there it can be a little frustrating for me, the person that is actually there to buy something as it seems that they are always standing in front of the case that I want to look in.

However the way that your friend handles it is quite a bit on the rude side and not good for buissness IMHO.

sounds like your friend should get into a business that he would enjoy doesn't sound like he enjoys the coin show floor.But people like that are only happy when the can complain .Bet working with him in a 9 to 5 job would be hell

My worst experience was one who had a seizure at my table. Luckily he did not break the glass when he zapped out. When it happened, I simply got up, walked away, and looked at some coins. They finally got some medics to take him away thank gosh "

Comments?

I can understand the nuisance of people intruding on your space while looking at another dealer's table, but this is truly despicable. Absolutely intolerable, and downright horrible as a human being. Please tell me who this dealer was, so that I can completely and totally avoid this slimeball in any future dealings. Anyone that condones this sort of behavior also deserves shunning in my book - please clarify at once whether you agree with this behavior so that I can decide whether or not to block you.

Thanks,

Someone who tries to have a little decency.

My worst experience was one who had a seizure at my table. Luckily he did not break the glass when he zapped out. When it happened, I simply got up, walked away, and looked at some coins. They finally got some medics to take him away thank gosh "

Comments?

I can understand the nuisance of people intruding on your space while looking at another dealer's table, but this is truly despicable. Absolutely intolerable, and downright horrible as a human being. Please tell me who this dealer was, so that I can completely and totally avoid this slimeball in any future dealings. Anyone that condones this sort of behavior also deserves shunning in my book - please clarify at once whether you agree with this behavior so that I can decide whether or not to block you.

Thanks,

Could not of said it better myself.

Today's tirekicker may be tomorrow's big spender. Maybe they're looking around to determine what they want to save up for. Giving them the broom might cost a dealer long-term. Still, they shouldn't be rude, and if someone wants to see what's in front of them that they're not buying, they should make a hole.

Agree that the dealer sounds like a sociopath for walking off and waiting for the seizure victim to be hauled away.

Not wanting to make light of the poor guy with the siezure . But maybe he just saw your friends attitude at work or his prices and did what what normal people would do . Stand there in shock

What is your reaction to this?

Tell your friend to keep selling coins at coin shows, because if he sold guns at a gun show, the customers or potential customers would not tollerate that sort of behavior...well, enough said.

Comments?

Thanks,

[font:Arial Black] I approve this message. [/font] 36_1_11-2.gif

Sorry that you consider him a friend. This person should be labeled and forced to fly a skull and crossbones over his table at any future coin shows. My goodness our society has dropped greatly when we tolerate such people.

Jim

As a trained medical professional, I have to renew my CPR certification every 2 years for just such occasions--it would be unlawful for me to "walk away"...the person who did do this may be the most self-centered sub-human I have ever heard about...

Secondly, I do not lay anything on the cases--it is disrespectful of the dealers and blocks the view of others (plus I'm not paying for any damage that may have already been there)...HOWEVER....

...............if I did have a momentary lack of thinking and set my things down and some angry and tired dealer shoved my things to the floor without asking me to "kindly remove them"...I GUARANTEE that he will be picking them up himself...

Not good, this dealer friend's actions. Would a bit of diplomacy be too much..."excuse me, may I ask you to put your books under the table so as not to block others from viewing the merchandise"?

The reaction to the seizure is unforgivable and I can't help but wonder if the dealer may have put himself into some sort of legal jeopardy by not responding more appropriately. Walking away was not the brightest move.

Now, it has been quite a few years since I have attended a show, but I remember some of the really fun shows in Boston where there was barely room to breathe, let alone "tire kick". Right or wrong, "tire kicking" goes with the territory. What comes to mind is the young collector who is "tire kicking" in the junk box. Maybe he has $10 or $20 to spend but that money is important to him (young collector). He has the same rights (or should have) as the big spender. (Am I living in a dream world?)

As someone else pointed out, some young collectors grow up to be serious collectors and kindness goes a long way. I remember that when I had my brief love affair with Civil War and Hard Times tokens, I "tire kicked" at 1 particular table, I didn't have a big budget, but was still treated respectfully. (Of course, I didn't block his cases with my books and other stuff...I HOPE!)

This dealer friend...sort of a cutthroat kinda' guy. I wonder if he puts fire crackers on frogs and cat's tails? Remind me not to invite him to my next "keg party".

RI AL

You can treat a tire kicker respectfully and still hate them.

As for dumping some thoughtless clods books and stuff that they lay down on your cae while they go look at someone else's stuff, well that may be a bit extreme but it's an understandable reaction to me.

The seizure? Sounds like it wasn't a grand mal seizure because if it was he probably would have done something so that he wouldn't break the glass, andif it wasn't then the best thing to do in those cases is to d just what he did, nothing and wit for thm to come out of it on their own.

I also have to recertify my CPR training every two years as well, but take my advice don't have a heart attack around me. I probably wouldn't do the CPR on you.

I guess you'll just have to put me down with the sociopaths

There is no doubt Mike (the guy in my opening post) hates tirekickers and I think his behavior rather extreme. He has moved on to doing gun shows (to minimize competetion from other coin delaers). I do not encourage nor condone his behavior. However, as a realtor he has represented me in numerous real estate deals and done a fine job.

I have found anyone looking at coins or currncy at my table is a potential customer or has something interesting to offer about the show and if there are people looking at your stuff then it can draw others too who are wondering "must be something really good there."

I have seen delers remove the chairs in front of their table so people will either buy, sell, or move on. I frankly want to keep the chairs in front of my table so customers are comfy. Even if there is no business the person might tell you something about the show that may alert you to a good deal.

If you are (or were) a dealer how would you handle someone who obviously is not going to transact any business but taking an inordinate amount of time at your table at a coin show and possibly blocking potential serious customers from looking at your material?

their are no bad customers the customer is always right

now having no customers is bad

taking an inordinate amount of time and being pleasent today is good for tomarrow

potential serious customers will find time to make a sale they know a good deal and their serious

The trouble with most local coin show the way i see it is most of the so called dealers are 1 part time wannabees dealers 2 have no clue 3 have less money 4 buy things from one another 5 like to make themselves seem important 6 and most are there to get away from their wifes who runs the show at home.

most remind me of kids in high school you know the type

their are no bad customers the customer is always right

I totally disagree with this comment !!!!

comments like this are why the world is such a shambles, same as "blue sky thinking" and other council speak .. 24 hour society .. people having to work bank holidays etc (i could go on)

"If you don't tell someone when they are incorrect they also will end up like the person who this post is about"

as for your other comments (thumbs u spot on

MY 2 Cents

As a trained medical professional, I have to renew my CPR certification every 2 years for just such occasions--it would be unlawful for me to "walk away"...the person who did do this may be the most self-centered sub-human I have ever heard about...

Secondly, I do not lay anything on the cases--it is disrespectful of the dealers and blocks the view of others (plus I'm not paying for any damage that may have already been there)...HOWEVER....

...............if I did have a momentary lack of thinking and set my things down and some angry and tired dealer shoved my things to the floor without asking me to "kindly remove them"...I GUARANTEE that he will be picking them up himself...

i worked as a cna for a long period and i too had to help if there was an issue. i still do cause thats what i would hope at my time of need.

lol, he wouldn't be picking my stuff up. he would be to busy picking himself up.

Well I can say that I am not a Tirekicker. I have never been to a coin show and

have only been in a coin shop a few times and there is always so many people

in there that I don't even bother looking!!

I just hope that when your dealer friend has his cardiac arrest, from eating fat-laden coin show food, that someone just reaches over and pushes him off his chair and dumps his case on top of him before they call 911.

Seriously, I don't know what price level your dealer friend sells at, but most collectors will "tirekick" for awhile before they buy an expensive coin. This is particularly when buying from a rude dealer who glares and scowls at you because you are not a dealer that he knows. Why doesn't this guy save himself the price of a table and shop his coins to his dealer friends from a carry on bag containing boxes of slabs. Not loose slabs that are all scuffed beyond recognition as some of these "dealers" do.

While we are on the subject of RUDE dealers what is the one coin that you have seen at a show or shop that you wanted to buy and could of (no dream coins you can't afford) but didn't because the dealer was a total jerk?

Mine was a 1885 3CN NGC MS-64.

I was at a coin shop in Oklahoma City and had taken my friend's little brother with me because he collects coins. He is 13 and working on his folders and the dealer was just rude and hateful to him and acted like he was wasting his time. When Westly showed him his list the dealer got rude and said he had very few of the common coins he was looking for that most what he had would cost him $100's of dollars if not more. Westly politely asked if he could see the common stuff that he did have because he was working on getting those slots filled first unless he just came across a deal on a key date. The dealer just looked at him like he was scum and said did you hear what I just said? Westly who is about as big of a smart as me said yes sir you said you had VERY FEW common coins which means you do have some and I asked to see them. The dealer then just said well I don't have any of those all I carry is rare or high grade that you couldn't afford. After me stepping in and having a few words with the dealer about him being a rude jerk we left. As I was about to walk out the door Westly pointed out the 3CN that had a great price which just mad me even madder about how big of a jerk the dealer was.

On a positive note Westly was able to find serveral coins he needed at another dealer that day but I am still looking for the 1885 3cn

Back when I was still dealing at the shows the ONE thing that really drove me crazy was when the dealer next to me set up a junk box right next to my table. The tire kickers and junk box jockeys would crowd around it and sometimes block a quarter of my table waiting to get a shot at the thing. Sometimes they would lay the junk box trash ON top of my cases has they were picking it out of the box. I don’t like to ask potential customers to move something, but after while one’s patience wears out.

One time I asked a dealer to either move the junk box to the other side of his table where there was not other dealer or put the thing in the middle of his table. He did it.

Another thing that drove me nuts was people who would bring me coins to me from another dealer’s table to get my opinion. If it was a regular customer I was glad to give them a fair opinion, but a few people NEVER bought ANYTHING from me and yet they wanted my opinion constantly. Some of these guys won't even look in my cases, yet they wanted my opinion. No one likes to be used.

One thing that is very bad form is get a coin from a dealer and then take it to the dealer right next to him for an opinion. It is a no win situation for the dealer from whom you want the opinion unless the coin is a good deal. If you say the coin is not nice, you might make the dealer angry. If you lie and say it is nice, it’s your reputation. My answer was I would not pass an opinion. And explained to them just what I wrote here.

Some people just shouldn't work in retail. Tell the guy to hire a frontman. If I was treated disrespectfully or felt rushed I'd walk away and spend my money elsewhere. If this is a real person,hasn't anyone complained to the show organizers?

Yes Bill I have had the same problem with junk box crowd and people soliciting opinions about another dealers coin. I do not tolerate them laying their stuff on my table or blocking my cases. Hey - I am the one paying the table fee to display my stuff, not them. I have seen these people look thru the junk boxes for an hour or more and then not buy anything (one reason I do not do junk boxes). I know of one instance or two where I asked the bourse chairman "I don't want my table next to x because of the tirekicker junk box crowd."

In addition, I do not give opinion on other dealers stuff someone bought (or is considering purchasing) and then brings up to me for my opinion for obvious reasons. If someone is looking at one of my coins and wants to take it to another dealer for an opinion I tell them "my inventory does not leave this table unless purchased and all sight seen sales are final."

If someone puts their trash on my table who is looking at the guys stuff next to me - its my right to establish a Tire Kicker Free Zone and just put it on that guys table and say "put your stuff on his table, not mine." They usually get the message. Other times if this does not work I will just open my case and the stuff will fall off.

I only rented a table once at a show to sell in Hot Springs, AR. There was very little retail business done. A couple of kids with their dad kept returning to my booth. I gave them some freebies but it did get a little annoying since they kept returning and never bought anything.

I was looking for a nice AU capped bust dime for my Dansco 7070 at the time and found no nice ones. I was not going to compromise my standards in lieu of being called a tire kicker. Very rarely have I ever found a good coin that I wanted at a show since most of the inventory was junk. Admittedly, however, I've never been to a big show like FUN or Baltimore.

If someone knocked my things on the floor intentionally then I think that I would meet such rudeness by coughing and hacking directly in his face since the law frowns on b-tch slapping such an individual. :P

I'm not a tire kicker, I'm a browser. I look before I buy. If the dealer doesn't like that, then remember, I am the consumer. It is my money. If you want me to spend my money with you, show me some respect, even if it is feigned. Otherwise, the Benjamins will stay in the pocket and another dealer will reap the benefits!

What is worse than a potential customer putting stuff on the cases is the dealer blocking the case with a prolonged negotiation with someone on the other side. I have walked away from tables where the dealer has splayed cases of slabbed coins or other items across the cases doing the hard sell on someone else while I am trying to look. Maybe the coin I am searching for is under that junk? The less accessible you make it to your merchandise, then the odds on me buying from you drops.

BTW... I walked away from a nice XF-AU 1903-O Morgan Dollar because the dealer was more interested in shorting his slabbed coins instead of showing me the coin in his case. I thought the coin was priced more like XF but looked AU in the case. But I wanted to see the coin and was excited to find such a nice Morgan dollar that was not slabbed. But after trying to get the dealer's attention twice and making me wait over 5 minutes (yes, I timed it), I walked away. His slabs were sorted but he lost a sale of around $400 because of it.

If the dealer whats to be an @$$, this native New Yorker can also dish it out while the Benjamins and I find another dealer.

Scott :hi: