• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

I know that many of use are working on 7070 type set(s), but does anyone ...

11 posts in this topic

... buy only key or semi-key dates for their type set? Say a 1914-D or S-VDB for their Lincoln cent, a 1921 or 1916-D for the Merc, an 1809 classic head large-cent, etc.?

Just wondering...

I have a few special coins in my 7070, but some are downright dawgs!

For my Flying Eagle... I have a Double Eye 1857.

For my Liberty Nickel... I have a 1912-S

For my Mercury... I have a lightly circulated 1940 proof

Those are the ones I know that are special right off the top of my head.

... buy only key or semi-key dates for their type set? Say a 1914-D or S-VDB for their Lincoln cent, a 1921 or 1916-D for the Merc, an 1809 classic head large-cent, etc.?

Just wondering...

I actually worked on a set somewhat like this years ago. My first choice was a somewhat rare variety like a 1909 VDB DDO cent or a 1942 2 over 1 Merc. Second choice was a key date. This was really looking good till I hit the half on up. My thinking changed and just finished it with something nice. It got to the point that I was no longer willing to put something of that value in a Dansco.

Over time I pulled most of the varieties out to put in a better holder and replaced them with something nice that matched. It was fun but I'm not sure I would do it again.

james i like this idea and when i was doing a type set it would be a little better and/or key dates

a great idea for a little more but a huge bang for the bucks and a truly impressive set when showed or selling

I would probably do high grade before I would do key dates/ rare varieties. Of course I cant afford to do either for my 7070 so I just do problem coins with nice details.

I am not working on a 7070 myself and while these are not KEY dates there are serveral under a million and some under 100,000 minted.

½ CENT (Draped Bust) 1808 (400,000 Minted)

½ CENT (Classic Bust) 1825 or 1832 (Both less then 100,000 mintage)

LARGE CENT (Coronet Braided Hair) 1847 or 1849

3CN 1865, 1867, 1868, 1869, 1870, 1871, 1872, 1873, 1874, 1875, 1879, 1880, 1881 (Both 79 & 80 less then 100,000 minted)

½ DIME (Liberty Seated) 1850, 1858o

½ DIME (Liberty Seated Arrows) 1855

DIME Capped Bust (Variety 2) 1833

QUARTER Liberty Standing (Variety 1) Undated and not mint mark

HALF DOLLAR (Capped Bust – Lettered Edge) 1824 Plated

Commemorative Half Dollar 1893 Columbian

Commemorative Half Dollar 1925 Stone Mt.

Working slightly differently on mine .. i am going for first date .. Or as close as i can afford anyway (Dam 20C)

Same - 1st year of issue and P mint. Except for the very expensive ones where another mint was substantially cheaper. ;)

Some may collect as James mentioned, some like first year of issue only, I prefer the nicest coin for my buck for my type set, however.