• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

1919-D, 1919-S SLQs - GRADES REVEALED / advice sought

19 posts in this topic

First of all, I apologize about the fuzzy images, and I'll preface by admitting that Standing Liberty Quarters are not my specialty. Different services encapsulated each of these examples, but I am curious as to what you think these two coins grade and why. Both do have outstanding gem luster, and my reason for asking is that I think one of the coins is an upgrade candidate - to the tune of $10,000....

1919-D Standing Liberty Quarter

j1919d_.jpg

JUMBO image

1919-S Standing Liberty Quarter

j1919s_.jpg

JUMBO image

Oh, to stem any fears that this is "free advertising", neither of these coins is for sale. They are firmly entrenched in a customer's collection.

James

The 19-d looks 65 FH (in a 64FH holder now?). What a great looking coin for that date. Seems like it has a lot of "pop".

I'm not so keen on the 19-s. It looks hazy, and auish. If it's unc, I would say ms/63 tops, and just miss FH.

I ditto Tradedollarnut's comments on grading from a scan.

The 19-D looks really nice - Looks like a 65FH, but my guess is its in a 64FH holder right now (PCGS pops are 15 64FH, 7 65FH & 5 66FH; NGC pops are 10 64FH, 4 65FH & 2 66FH)

19-S doesn't look near as nice - could be anywhere from AU - MS63

The usual caveat - you can't accurately grade coins from scans.

I believe they are both AU...but real nice AU. You know what I mean? The 19-S seems "more" AU however...lol

If they aren't AU then 19-D is a 64FH and the 19-S is 64. I like the 19-S because of that toning. Cooooooooooool. laugh.gif

jom

EDIT: Is that 19-S for sale? laugh.gif

I believe they are both AU...but real nice AU.

I'll take all the AU SLQs that look like that 19-D that James has- I'd even pay a premium for large quantities smile.gif I wouldn't even be too fussy about the dates! - (but I'd like a nice mix!)

A few more responses, please....

If you want, you don't have to guess the actual grades, a guess at the "difference" in grades would be great as well. For example, if you think one coin is VF-20, and the other is AU-53, you can just guess "33 points".

HINTS: one coin is encapsulated by ANACS, the other by PCGS. Both are certified as FH (and I believe it is correct for both).

James

If you want to be REALLY strict about this, they are both AU-58, full head.

Both coins appear to have a rub or a frost break on the knee, which is very common for these coins. In the old days dealers sold these coins as Choice or Gem BU and bought them back as AU. I know, because I had that happen to me when I was a kid collector.

Today the 1919-D would not go in any lower holder than MS-64, Full Head. Given the fresh look, it go as high as MS-66, Full Head. The strike is really outstanding, which could give it some extra points.

The 1919-S has rub on the knee AND up the leg. It's still AU-58 full head, but I can't see that one going any higher than MS-64, full head. With BIG push I could see it in 65 holder, but I would not come within two miles of it at that price level.

HINTS: one coin is encapsulated by ANACS, the other by PCGS. Both are certified as FH (and I believe it is correct for both).

James, I wouldn't buy the 19-S as a FH, at least not based on the scan (and particularly in comparison to the 19-D) I think that 19-S is auctually an AU coin - lack of luster, break on the knee and on the reverse on the eagles breast - but the lack of luster is what cause me to say not UNC.

THe 19-D looks wonderful - Outstanding FH, wonderful luster - should be in a MS65FH holder, maybe better.

Again the caveat: grades based on what the scans shows - in the flesh could be very different.

What are the current grades? (If you don't want to post them, PM me)

James; I think the 19-D will grade at least 64FH and probably 65FH. Very good strike for a 19-D.

The 19-S, I would not go FH but it's real close. I would say 62. It is still a very nice coin. Some might say FH but I would not. 95%FH

It's hard to grade by a picture but both coins are premium coins.

Have a good day,

Gary

Here's a tally of the results:

1919-D.......1919-S

------............------

64FH..........63

65FH..........63

65FH..........AU - MS-63

65 FH.........58

64 FH.........64

65 FH.........64FH (Bill Jones approx.)

65..............AU

64FH+........62+95%FH

Thanks for the responses. The grades revealed are:

1919-D: ANACS MS-64 FH

1919-S: PCGS MS-64 FH

The consensus is that the ANACS coin grades higher than the PCGS coin by at least a full point. With the benefit of having the coins in-hand, my opinion is that the ANACS coin is in fact a high-end MS-65 FH, and the PCGS coin really is MS-64 based on current grading standards, but not FH. Furthermore, the PCGS coin has a bit of brownish haze - could it possibly be dip residue? And as some of you pointed out, the luster on the 1919-D coin is far superior to the 1919-S. Both images were taken under the exact same lighting conditions.

So here's my followup question: Is there a realistic chance the owner could crack out the ANACS, submit it to NGC and get an MS-65 FH out of it? It's a $10,000 bump in value.

One more thing - this was not at all intended as a slam on PCGS (or an attaboy for ANACS). As everyone realizes, there are low and high end coins encapsulated by every service. My objective was to get some reassurance that the 1919-D probably does, in fact, warrant a higher grade.

Thanks for all the terrific responses.

((( EDIT: Is that 19-S for sale? )))

Jom, both coins are in a strong collection. You can probably buy them in about twenty years!

James

Well even though you didn't include my response in your tally James, I seem to be in agreement with your in-person assessment. I would say that it's worth the shot to have the 19-D cracked and graded with NGC or PCGS. As for the 19-S, I'd send it to PCGS for appearance review.

Hoot