• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

"Altered Surface", The need for a more comprehensive definition?

5 posts in this topic

I have often seen and have purchased NCS certified coins with a qualifier or descriptive label given as "Altered Surfaces", [MS or PR] Details".

From NGC's Understanding "No Grade" Coins, a definition of Altered Surfaces is given: "A coin that has been treated in some way that changes its gereral appearance is said to have ALTERED SURFACES. A coins surface can be altered in many ways,......". The article goes on to mention a few of the methods that cause [physical] alteration such as whizzing, polishing [by machine or hand] or [chemical] alteration such as "fill in" substances such as lacquer [wax or oil]. PVC contamination may also be included as a surface contaminate but not considered as a "fill in" substance yet the surface has been altered. Its a matter of degree [not kind] of observable alteration. Rainbow toning may also be considered as surface alteration. Is rainbow toning different than 'as minted condition' to compare as to its gereral appearance? Altered Surfaces indicate something that was done to the coins surface inorder to deceive or hide impefections caused by mis-handling.or abuse. Does NCS know the method of alteration in all cases?

I have trouble with the phrases: 'treated in some way', 'general appearance', 'can be altered in many ways'. These terms are vague and lack detail. How treated?. How is the standard or general appearance defined? How many[alteration] ways?

The problem as I see it is in the vague definition of what 'is' or what 'appears' to be altered. For example, if I were stopped for speeding and the arresting officer said it looked like I was exceeding the speed limit. What evidence was there that I broke the law? The same may apply to the use of the term Altered Surfaces. Its more of a misnomer (?) term than what is in 'evidence'. In other words, what precisely was the [alteration] cause either chemical or physical evidence that can be provided if the qualifier or descriptive label be assigned and the coin returned in a NCS holder or worse in a body bag? What information does it give the submitter in return for his or her grading fee? Zero!

Would like to have different points of view for those who wish to respond to the subject in question.

It is true that coins that have been improperly cleaned, whizzed, polished, and the like have altered surfaces. A coin in an NCS holder that has had a specific treatment of whizzing, cleaning, polishing, or the like will have that specific problem mentioned. Coins that are in NCS holders with "altered surfaces" most often are coins that have had their surfaces specifically altered in a way to make them appear to be something they are not. Most often this is a treatment to either the devices or fields to give the appearance of a cameo proof.

Chris, NCS

Coins that are in NCS holders with "altered surfaces" most often are coins that have had their surfaces specifically altered in a way to make them appear to be something they are not. Most often this is a treatment to either the devices or fields to give the appearance of a cameo proof.

Chris, NCS

You use the phrase "most often" but avoid using the exceptions rather than the rule.

It is my opinion that vague terminology or misleading labels like "First Strike"

may not serve to benifit NGC/NCS in the long run. This also does not serve the customers best interest either and you can pass this on to your policy makers.

I have heard from a trustworthy source that NCS holdered coins labeled "Altered Surfaces" [MS or PF] Details have been found NOT to have been altered, reholdered and given a nurmerical grade [MS or PR] by a reliable top tier TPGS.

So much for your opinion on determining "Altered Surface" condition.

For us new to numismatics, it is heart breaking to get "no grade" from the big two appraisers. Also quite costly. A winner coin becomes a loser no one wants to buy.

I'd prefer the companies just return my ungraded coins, without burial in plastic for all to see. I'll have to go "raw" to stay in the hobby.