• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

I believe rare coins and/or monster/killer eye appeal sell in this soft market

10 posts in this topic

Pushkin

Collector

Tuesday January 27, 2009 1:54 PM

Lot's of threads lately about a down market, bubbles bursting, coin prices too high, and on and on and on. I believe top quality coins with great eye appeal sell (I'm not talking about moderns - I don't know anything about them and I don't want to).

I pay strong money for coins that are beautiful, interesting and definitely PQ for the grade. If I sell, and I rarely do, I'll expect the same. Of course, I'm a collector not a dealer, or a part-time dealer, or a wannabe, or an investor, or a gambler; just an aging collector that appreciates beauty and quality.

I buy from dealers like Andy Skrabalak and Mark Feld and I've never been disappointed because collectors know what they are buying - they'd better know. I'm not sure many investors that call themselves collectors do?

Coin collecting is a hobby, a continuing education, and a love.

That's all.

how true

if you are a COLLECTOR....................................

using discretionary funds ..................................................

buying rare, historically interesting coinage with really great eye appeal

you cant ever go wrong

Collectors love coins, they love learning about them, and they love the hobby - fiscal appreciation is an extra - don't count on it and you will spend a lot less time whining about coin markets and a lot more time enjoying numismatics.

I really liked this part of his post.

Collectors love coins, they love learning about them, and they love the hobby - fiscal appreciation is an extra - don't count on it and you will spend a lot less time whining about coin markets and a lot more time enjoying numismatics.

(thumbs u (thumbs u (thumbs u :applause: :applause: :applause:

Physics, Your half is very nice, my favorite depth of toning for circulated silver coins :headbang:

It would pair up nicely with my 1839 half...

Physics, Your half is very nice, my favorite depth of toning for circulated silver coins :headbang:

I'll PM you my address if you want to send it to me :baiting:

I'll PM you my address if you want to send it to me :baiting:

You don't the cash for that one, :insane: and...

if I was down to five coins that would be one. :cloud9:

So you're going to have to give it up, lol lol

Plus,

Not many coins are able to pass the high standards to get in my type set, :blahblah:

See you should be proud that your would make that cut. :devil: real proud, eh that's the ticket. hm

As an early-modern collector, I am finding plenty of raw 20th century material to search and cherry in the current market near face, saving the extraordinary for later. No teeth nashing, just the enjoyment associated with looking at coins, talking shop with the locals, and building future value. Maybe the buyers of very expensive coins won't be impacted by the downturn either, just the collectors in the middle.