• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Need help finding information on how some bullion coin series got started

10 posts in this topic

I was wondering if you guys knew where to find the background info on how some of these sets got started: (I'm only looking at the silver coins)

Australian Lunar Series

Australian Koalas, Kookaburras, Kangaroos

Chinese Panda Coins

While I don't need the information for these other sets right now, I'll also ultimately be looking into

Canadian Maple Leafs

UK Britannias

Mexican Libertads

I'd appreciate any information you guys could provide (or link to) regarding, 1) the laws that authorized them, 2) why the country started making them (what inspired the law), 3) Why the images/themes were chosen, or 4) Just anything else that you find interesting about the set/series.

Thanks for that. I wonder why I didn't think of checking wikipedia for the Pandas.

I thought you were a college student!! lol lol

Well.... I am! The only problem is that the professors loathe Wikipedia. "It is not a valid scientific or technical source." We're "gently encouraged" to avoid it like the plague for our work. Sometimes that mental prohibition carries over into my casual endeavors. Even so, I was reading what they had on Civil War tokens the other week and I use it when I want data on the US Presidents for my Prez bucks coin descriptions.

… the professors loathe Wikipedia.

They have good reason to loathe the thing. There are much more reliable, easily accessible sources of information.

Well.... I am! The only problem is that the professors loathe Wikipedia. "It is not a valid scientific or technical source." We're "gently encouraged" to avoid it like the plague for our work.

I know.....I was just poking fun....I just got my BS in Dec 2008.

From a collecting standpoint some of the back issues can be quite hard to locate. I looked into Panda's from the 90's and I just couldn't justify spending 100+ on many of the coins.

So far the only Panda that I have is the 2008 in PF69. I'm making arrangements to buy a raw 2006 from another forum member. I'm planning on trying to get the pandas at least back to 2005 (the year I graduated from High School) but beyond that I'm going to have to give it some thought.