• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Coin books for Shield Nickels and Three Cent Nickels

10 posts in this topic

Can anyone suggest books on Shield Nickels and Three Cent Nickels? I am slowing down on my buying but as I have purchased coins for my type set and 7070 I have found that I like these two coin designs as well as some others. So since I don't have the money to invest in them I thought I would do some reading and research.

I already have the following books:

"The Shield Five Cent Series" A comprehensive Listing of know varieties by Edward L. Fletcher

"A Guide Book of Shield and Liberty Head Nickels" by QDB

I don't think Fletcher has a book on the three cent pieces, I believe you are thinking of Flynn.

There is another book, that really get into the series and varieties that I can ever rmember the title or author of. It is really in depth but only a relatively small number were printed and it has been out of print for years and is fairly expensive if you can find it.

No I know the Westcott book, I was one of the contributors to that book.

No the book I'm thinking of is on the three cent pieces hardbound, 8 1/2 X 11 in size, 500 pages, dark binding, no dust cover.

Found it The Ultimate Guide to U.S. Three Cent Nickels, 1865 to 1889 by Allan Gifford

No I know the Westcott book, I was one of the contributors to that book.

No the book I'm thinking of is on the three cent pieces hardbound, 8 1/2 X 11 in size, 500 pages, dark binding, no dust cover.

Found it The Ultimate Guide to U.S. Three Cent Nickels, 1865 to 1889 by Allan Gifford

Is this the book that James (EarlyUS) was selling on his web site a couple of years back? I think that he knows the author and contributed to the book. As I remember it wasn't a cheap book but was the most in-depth reference available on the series. Maybe James can chime in here or you can PM him if he missed this thread.

That link is the only place I know of that lists the Gifford book as being available, but I would probably try contacting the site owner to make sure it is still available before ordering it. The site is still "active" but I don't know if it is being kept up. (I hope so because I still want a copy of that book and I'm not in the position to order it right now.)