• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

NGC Photo Service

15 posts in this topic

Since I am submitting coins tommorow, I decided to try their service.

Has anyone else used them and if so, how were the results?

I think they do a wonderful job...much better than I could do.

Wonderful? Really?

This is what I got. Looks like a slightly out-of-focus scan.

8477e897.jpg

ba52b0f3.jpg

PCGS does a MUCH nicer job. Or, you could get one of the resident photographers to do it for little or no cost to you, besides shipping. I wasn't impressed with NGC's photo service at all.

OTOH, NGC's photo proof is quite nice. If that's what you're referring to, ignore the above comments.

Frankly Munky, that's one of the better examples I've seen. (I haven't been too thrilled wth their Photoproofs either). And the Photocertficates they did for the Eliasberg foreign gold collection were bad. All of the ones I have seen were out of focus.

• Member: Seasoned Veteran

It appears that the coin-in-slab image was done under our $3 imaging service, in which case it's a pretty good picture for the money.

Regarding Photo Proof, our earlier efforts were disappointing, but we revamped everything a couple years ago, and the present service is top notch. I believe old customers will be quite surprised at the difference.

I can't get a scan anywhere near that good :( just a blurred mess. So the only way I am going to get good photos is get someone else to do it, or buy lots of stuff and take the time out to set it all up.

I was happy with my photo proofs and I am happy (usually) with the $3 offer, $2 would be nicer but $3 when I can't easily image my coin is nothing

No offense, but that picture above of the $20 Saint is HORRIBLE!

I can take much better pictures than that. And would be highly disappointed if I paid money for an imaging service and received that image.

Here's an image ATS. Looks a little better.

12985673M.jpg

How much does PCGS charge ?

NGC service is "internet imaged" which is all about keeping it small but still showing the coin, the holder and the serial number. Would have helped a lot with the counterfeiting before, but lets hope NGC ups the service ($5 or more would be fine for pictures like PCGS)

Sam.. stoked with those for free ! thanks again :) one of my favourite new coins.. one of the cheapest too..

columbusrevfr5.jpg

Here are NGC images when I bought the Platinum Eagle set

This beauty doesn't need any better.. that old gold does deserve a better image even for $3.

2524428-001O.jpg2524428-001R.jpg

2524428-002O.jpg2524428-002R.jpg

I already emailed support but 2755328_001r.JPG arrived corrupted by email ? I always seem to get 2 of each image in my emails too.. could someone check what is going on there (is the file in 2 parts ? they are different sizes)

Received replacement already :) hurray

And I believe (unless they have changed) with the PCGS True-view, you just write it onto the submission form and include the extra $10. Don't bother asking Customer Service about it because they don't seem to know about it, they don't advertise it, and it supposedly ended over a year ago. But if you write it on your form the True-Views are still coming.

I would thin they probably don't advertise it because if they did they would be swamped with requests and wouldn't be able to keep up or maintain the quality. It probably takes a lot longer to get a good photo than it does to grade the coin. If a significant portion of the submission started asking for True-Views what would happen? So they just keep it word of mouth from those in the know.