• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Link to NGC Slab history post?

9 posts in this topic

A few months ago I read an excellent post that showed the history of the NGC slabs by using pictures of the various NGC slabs that have been used. I believe that I saw this on the NGC site, but I can't seem to find it. Does anybody know the link to this post? Thanks in advance.

This should do it. Was there ever a PCGS or ANACS thread? Condor mentioned maybe doing one, but I must have missed it.

NGC Slab Varieties

I reread the NGC Slab Varieties post and I have another question. I always assumed that the NGC number provided an indication about how long ago a coin was graded, i.e., the smaller the number the older the slab. However, this post contradicts that assumption. For example, the NGC 3 example in this post has the number 203388-001, while NGC 4 has a lower number, 197174-011. It also happens with NGC 6 (337205-002) and NGC 7 (273104-008). There seems to be some correlation between the age of the slab and the number, but it isn't an exact correlation. Can someone explain the NGC numbering scheme to me? I'm also curious about the meaning of the 3 digit number after the dash. Does this identify the coin number from a group of coins that were simultaneously submitted for grading?

Thanks again.

P.S. - I would be very interested in seeing a similar post about PCGS and ANACS slabs if one exists.

I've uploaded most of the pictures needed for the PCGS and ANACS posts but I've never gotten around to writing them. Keep on me and I get to them sooner or later, hopefully sooner. (Not right now though please. I'm in the middle of several articles, a newsletter, and a 30 minute presentation I'm supposed to make Wed.)

As to the numbering system of the NGC slabs, the first part of the number is simply the number on the submission invoice. If you have an older form you'll have a lower number than someone using a new form. If you are using a photocopy of the form and the number has been used before they will assign a new number. The three digit number is the number of the coin from that submission first, second, third etc. If you submit more than a thousand coins they will generate another submission number and start over again first, second, third etc.

Another way to get a low number on a more modern slab is through reholdering. If you send in an old slab for reholdering they keep the same number.

So you see there is no way from just looking at the number to be able to determine when the coin was graded. NGC can because it is in their computer records, but in general all you can tell is from the slab design when it was last put in a shell.

I hope this helps.

I've uploaded most of the pictures needed for the PCGS and ANACS posts but I've never gotten around to writing them. Keep on me and I get to them sooner or later, hopefully sooner. (Not right now though please. I'm in the middle of several articles, a newsletter, and a 30 minute presentation I'm supposed to make Wed.)

As to the numbering system of the NGC slabs, the first part of the number is simply the number on the submission invoice. If you have an older form you'll have a lower number than someone using a new form. If you are using a photocopy of the form and the number has been used before they will assign a new number. The three digit number is the number of the coin from that submission first, second, third etc. If you submit more than a thousand coins they will generate another submission number and start over again first, second, third etc.

Another way to get a low number on a more modern slab is through reholdering. If you send in an old slab for reholdering they keep the same number.

So you see there is no way from just looking at the number to be able to determine when the coin was graded. NGC can because it is in their computer records, but in general all you can tell is from the slab design when it was last put in a shell.

I hope this helps.

This was very helpful! Thanks.

One other question. It seems like people pay a premium for coins in the old green label PCGS holders because they feel that PCGS had stricter grading standards in the old days. I haven't seen the same kind of thing for the old NGC holders. Is this true, and if it is, then why? When (what year or holder type) were the grading stardards lowered at NGC and PCGS? It sounds like recently both companies have raised the bar again because of CAC.

One other question. It seems like people pay a premium for coins in the old green label PCGS holders because they feel that PCGS had stricter grading standards in the old days. I haven't seen the same kind of thing for the old NGC holders. Is this true, and if it is, then why? When (what year or holder type) were the grading stardards lowered at NGC and PCGS? It sounds like recently both companies have raised the bar again because of CAC.

The PCGS has the OGH and the NGC has the "No Line Fattie "holders. People often pay a premium for these coins because the think they were graded harder back in the days and have a better shoot at an upgrade. I think it depends more on the coin then the holder it is in. I think people that don't know alot about grading often pay more for the holder in the hopes of the upgrade.

Here is a picture of one that I own......I have never cracked any old holder!!

1943-DA.jpg

Why not create a website with the information and make it available to everyone, even beyond these boards?

Scott :hi: