• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Coin Photo Presentation Revision - Advice/Comments, ¿Por favor? ***UPDATED***

12 posts in this topic

Hi folks. As some of you probably recall, I posted a lot of photos over the past two weeks of many coins that I photographed from my collection. But I want to revise my presentation style a bit. Yes, I will admit that I did this after looking at some of "spacemonkey"'s work over at PCGS. For those of you who are Mac fans, I draw the analogy that my presentation is akin to OSX 10.0 and his is 10.5 -- it's "sharper," more "evolved," and has a cleaner look instead of an organic look.

I've worked on revising my template and Photoshop actions this morning and came up with this revision. The top photo is the old version, the bottom is the new. I'd appreciate feedback on what you think - what you like better from either and what you may still not like. All feedback on the presentation is appreciated!! And if you want more coins to compare the new template with the old, let me know and I'll post 'em.

Version 1:

1884O_MS63DMPL_large.jpg

Version 2:

1884O_MS63DMPL_large_v2.jpg

UPDATED: Version 1:

1914D_MS64_large.jpg

Version 3:

1914D_MS64_large_v2.jpg

Note that the basic changes to the template are:

• added a slightly larger margin on either side of the coin
  • changed the font, font color, font size
  • added horizontal rule above the text
  • shrunk the size of the shadow from the coin
  • shrunk the "white table" and moved it "back" (up) a little
  • added an effective background light which I think adds to the 3-D look of the presentation
  • shrunk the extent of the mirrored image of the coin

I like your second version better. I definitely like the font changes, makes it much easier to read, more professional looking. I would eliminate the horizontal rule and move the text up, overlapping the mirror images a bit. You've got too much empty space below the actual coin, it seems to drag on forever. I like the background light as well, gives it a cleaner look.

I like the bottom one as well, again for the font. Also, was wondering if you would consider using more lighting. Might give you better overall light coverage on the coin. Just a thought.

#2 for sure-can't handle the font on #1-I also like the division line below. Nice template. I have used a similiar one in the past, but have decided too much trouble for a changing inventory.

Jim

I like the black background on the first but the line and font of the second.

One suggestion which it looks like it is already formatted for this would be to have it set at a 4x6 inch photo. That away if someone were to want to print the photos for a hard copy it would fit on the photo prefectly and not be distorted because of auto re-size.

Also maybe a place for a PCGS, NGC or CAC Logo.

Alright, so you all hate Beanie font. I wonder why no one complained before ... :makepoint:

I like your second version better. I definitely like the font changes, makes it much easier to read, more professional looking. I would eliminate the horizontal rule and move the text up, overlapping the mirror images a bit. You've got too much empty space below the actual coin, it seems to drag on forever. I like the background light as well, gives it a cleaner look.

I think you've been out-voted so far with the horizontal line. I initially didn't like it, but I think that it looks less clean without it. I could work on making it a little more 3-D, which would also act to make it slightly less prominent, but I think I'm going to keep it.

The reason I kept the mirror to the extent I did is that I really like the effect; however, I agree that it could be reduced. I could then move the text up a bit and maybe add a third line, smaller font and slightly darker that has information like mintage, or some other such relevant information.

Also, was wondering if you would consider using more lighting. Might give you better overall light coverage on the coin. Just a thought.

Are you referring to lighting in the actual photographs, or the faux-lighting effects in the "background" and "surface" that the coins are "sitting" in/on in the presentation? Assuming the latter, could you clarify what you mean?

One suggestion which it looks like it is already formatted for this would be to have it set at a 4x6 inch photo. That away if someone were to want to print the photos for a hard copy it would fit on the photo prefectly and not be distorted because of auto re-size.

Also maybe a place for a PCGS, NGC or CAC Logo.

It's close to a 2:3 ratio, and the original template was definitely that ratio. When I do settle on a template, I will likely adjust it such that it goes back to that ratio. It could actually be accomplished in this one easily if I add a little more black space to the top margin. The current ratio is more like 0.658 vs. 0.667.

I'm not a fan of corporate logos. I think it's completely relevant to mention who it's graded by (in this example, ANA), but I think adding a logo would either clutter it or detract from the coin -- you'll notice that all of the presentation aspect is completely monochromatic, whereas the coin is the full-color part.

Wonderful presentation - way beyond my skills.

If it were me, I would get rid of the redundant "$1.00" text since you've already described it as a dollar coin.

If it were me, I would get rid of the redundant "$1.00" text since you've already described it as a dollar coin.

I agree, it's redundant on this particular coin. The purpose of it originally was for coins like commemoratives or bullion where the text description is more like, "2006 - 100th Anniversary of San Francisco Mint Fire & Earthquake" where I have both the silver and gold, so "$1.00 - Proof" and "$5.00 - Proof" were relevant. But yeah, I think I can at least get rid of it for normal circulating coins.

Hey folks, I've tweeked the template based on the feedback so far. It's now a 2:3 ratio again, the text and bar have been moved up a bit, got rid of the denomination, added the mintage information, and a small © in the lower right corner.

Let me know what you think.

Those are very nice Astro. I wish I could find out how do those with my coins. I've played around in my photoshop5 and just don't see how to do that stuff. Very nice!