• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Physics-fan3.14

6 posts in this topic

Hey, Physics.

Can you tell me where the doubling is best seen on a Proof 1961 Franklin? I got me a Pf 67Cameo NGC and was wondering if I might get lucky.

THANKS!!!!!

I'm assuming you are talking about the famous DDR-003? If you have it, it will be immediately obvious. The only double die which has a greater shift is the famous 1955 Lincoln cent. These sorts of double dies make it seem like your drunk and seeing double lol . Let me see if I can find some pics somewhere for you.

At FUN a few years ago, I got to hold a PR67 CAM, and it was amazing. Huge separation, and deep cameo contrast. There are very few double dies that you can clearly see with your naked eye. Off the top of my head, a few include the 1955 and 1972 Lincolns, and this 1961 Franklin. My recently discovered 1951 Franklin can now be added to the list as well (see my recent post). Doubling which is so strikingly obvious usually garners a much larger premium than that for which you need high powered magnification.

A little more info: This is a Class I - Rotated hub doubling, and Flynn and Wexler say its probably the strongest double die on any half dollar of any series. The doubling is strongest on the left side of the reverse, although clear doubling can be seen all the way around the reverse. Doubling is also evident on the bell and hanger, especially on the left side.

Tomaska makes the point that while this coin is very rare in any grade, in Cameo this one is extremely rare.

Rats...No DD for RI AL! But YOUR double lines find inspired me. I have 3 or 4 1961 proof sets in the original envelopes/packaging somewhere...I'll start the hunt and check them. Actually, I have sets back to 1956. May I ask, are there ary other interesting "errors" I should check for? Please, don't take your valuable time for pictures (even though the 1961 you sent me was GREAT and much appreciated!)

RI AL.

This is a link to the CONECA master variety listings - every double die and RPM that has been catalogued on every modern series. Kind of overwhelming, and no pictures, but they generally have a description of markers to look for. Specifically on the Franklin half, I would recommend Flynn and Wexler's book "Treasure Hunting Franklin and Kennedy Half Dollars." They only list a small portion of what Coneca has, but they have great pictures, and its the more common varieties. I haven't seen the latest edition of the Cherrypicker's Guide, but they have some of the more well known varieites, and I belive NGC designates the varieites listed in the Cherrypicker.

http://conecaonline.org/variety_listings.html

OK, Physics. Your help is much appreciated!!! Gonna find those other sets and get to work. Maybe I'll get lucky and be able to upgrade my 1874 quarter and get an MS 63 Barber quarter with all my "proceeds". yea...right...