• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

AG 3 with CAC sticker?

21 posts in this topic

I didn't think that CAC would sticker anything this low in grade (AG 3). It is a rare date Barber quarter and I wonder if the rarity effected the decision that made it worthy of CAC??

RI AL

Sure, why not?

A low grade coin can be nice for the grade, and the grade might be dead on. I could see a perfectly smooth, attractive brown cent or half cent with very little detail left. Such coins are unusual, but they cant be called "choice" even in a low grade.

The "bean" was green bean and , CoinMan, you hit it right on the head. It WAS a 1901 S quarter, PCGS AG-3. I guess that the green bean means that it was solid example for the grade...or a premium one...confused. (and I think I am reopening...again...a topic that has been discussed here ad nauseum...sorry, guys).

I guess I'm a bit out of the loop...what's a CAC gold bean?

it makes me laugh how a new company is walking all over the old. saying what is what. i still dont know why we need the grading companies now since cac is top dogg. when i say top dog there sticker is seeming to trump the graders. so why not just send the coin directly to cac? save some money.

My understanding is the same as Tom's -- there is no lower limit to the grade of a coin when it comes to CAC.

FWIW, I have an AG-3 chain cent that has the CAC sticker.

a gold sticker means the coin is under graded

for example a vf30 with a gold sticker means it is a vf35 maybe?? higher

ms64 with gold bean coin is ms 65 if not higher

etc

No limit is the sensible way. The sticker is about "yes this is the RIGHT grade" and nothing else.

So saying it is overgraded is plain wrong in my book and I'm sure in CAC's as well unless the coin was seriously a higher grade even to them. But the sticker says THIS grade, it doesn't say higher.. I doubt many would actually be truly rated higher at CAC.

Real quality isn't going down, its still going up in price. But is going down.

so why not just send the coin directly to cac? save some money.

Because CAC doesn't slab, and if for some reason the coin isn't everything it is supposed to be CAC has NO RESPONSIBILITY, no guarantee, no nothing. Have a problem, take it up with the TPG, CAC has nothing to do with it. They are like a fourth tier grading service that gives a grading opinion but neither stands behind it nor guarantees the authenticity.

Does the gold label color mentioned above actually mean that or is it a guess?

Someone phone them (CAC) and give them the idea. otherwise. if a coin is actually UNDER graded it should receive a special CAC with grade marked. Or in this case maybe a G4 so you know it really is PQ :) solves the confusion immediately !

From what I understand, yes it does mean that in CAC's opinion the coin is undergraded and should upgrade. But as I said they make no guarantee and aren't responsible for being wrong if you spend the money to resubmit and it doesn't upgrade.

I looked at their site, it says nothing of a gold sticker. What is it ? or where is a picture of it ?

All i see is mention of a GREEN sticker. It means the coin is in the RIGHT grade, it doesn't mean it is undergraded. That is not mentioned anywhere, and I think you are making a very big assumption.

Sellers would use that to their advantage and call some CAC coins a grade higher, when there is NO guarantee by CAC that it is anything other than the grade it shows... big difference.

They should address this.

The green sticker means that the coin is a very nice A coin or a nice B coin. C coins, although graded correctly are low end and not stickered. Gold stickers are very rare, less than 1% of all coins submitted for a sticker. Gold sticker means they think the coin is undergraded.

I also just looked at the CAC site and aside from a small gold CAC logo on the bottom right corner, there is nothing I could find regarding a gold sticker. Of course, I realize the gold sticker exists since two of my coins received this sticker when I dropped some pieces off at CoinFest. However, if you type in the certification number of a coin with a sticker then you will see the following explanation of the stickers-

"Congratulations! This coin meets or exceeds CAC's strict grading standards. Green stickers MEET the standards. Gold stickers EXCEED the standards"

Nice, personally I think they should add a tiny number in the gold somewhere :D

This topic is exactly why. Is it undergraded and a 4 ? 5 ? 10 ? massive difference