• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Does NGC send out a certificate or anything of the like for 2008 award recipient

11 posts in this topic

I've heard rumours of such. I would have expected a PM or email or something of the sort, but haven't seen any yet. Patience, my friend, didn't you know the entire world is busy watching the inauguration?

• Administrator

Winners in the categories hand selected by NGC (Best Classic, Modern, Presented and Signature sets) receive a plaque and owners of the top ranking sets in each category receive a certificate. Plaques and certificates should all be out within the next two weeks. Congratulations!

Vic,

Did I read that you are in the process of moving? If so, pm a new address so I can be sure we are sending it to the right address.

I had been aware of the plaques and certificates, but I think that last year one of the award winners didn't receive the plaque until early March. So I wasn't expecting anything immediate. I can certainly understand how the others must feel though. They won a very high honor (at least in this community it counts as a high honor, other people ... eh, not so much it seems. Most people I tell about it just kinda laugh at me).

that's funny Rev..I got the same kinda response-even from my family when I was honored with a journal award in 2006. However when the plaque came ( they are very nicely made)..they were A LOT more impressed...if I haven't said so already...congratulations to both you and Victor..it's great having you both as members here..

I think seeing the plaque will have an impact with my family (I'm looking forward to seeing it myself) but I don't expect it to do much for my peer group. The chemical engineering majors I spend all my time with don't really value awards based on artistic or literary achievement. The emphasis is placed much more heavily on technical achievements and prizes therefore. One girl, upon realizing that I collect coins, remarked, "That's so cute. The only thing that would be cuter is if you collected stamps." :cry: In this case, I think "cute" means "you're lame, but in a funny way."

I think seeing the plaque will have an impact with my family (I'm looking forward to seeing it myself) but I don't expect it to do much for my peer group. The chemical engineering majors I spend all my time with don't really value achievements based on artistic or literary achievement. The emphasis is placed much more heavily on technical achievements and prizes therefore. One girl, upon realizing that I collect coins, remarked, "That's so cute. The only thing that would be cuter is if you collected stamps." :cry: In this case, I think "cute" means "you're lame, but in a funny way."

Oh, she hasn't met the guys that collect comic books or beanie babies yet, has she? Haha.

I know what you mean with the engineering crowd - they want to know what article you published, what competition you won, what satellite you designed and launched, etc. Not which writing/coin/presentation you won. Many of my friends at least sorta feign interest when I mention it, and I was even able to drag a couple of them to coin shows, which surprised me.

...if I haven't said so already...congratulations to both you and Victor..it's great having you both as members here..

Thanks, J.!

Once I complete my time in purgatory here in Arkansas fixing my place up some, I think that I will finally settle down and get a full time job at an imaging center in Vegas that my bud owns. I'll buy a nice house but it will be scarce on furnishings for a bit so the plague will be a handy, dandy center piece. ;)