• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Interesting FS Jefferson collection ending tomorrow!

7 posts in this topic

I've been watching this one! I've been watching this one! I wish I had $7500 to have a look at it. There's no obverse pic or blow-ups of any of the coins. Another thing I've noticed, by the time the 3rd pic was taken, most of the coins have turned in their slots. This tells me the seller took the time to straighten the coins for the first pic. By the last shot, the coins are all over the place. Are all capital holders like that? I was looking at a set the other day and everytime I turned the set over to view the other side to have a look at it, I could hear the coins jumping in the slots.

Leo

Leo, this is at least the third time he has tried to sell it on eBay. Not even one bid from any of the auctions I have watched on it. I wish I had the $7500. for it also as it sounds like a very nice set of coins and probably worth the price, according to the listing.

If I were him, I would sell individually. Would probably make more AND sell the bunch of them sooner then as a set. IMHO

David

This is an interesting set. Just like the good old days I suppose. laugh.gif

I'm sure he's "do better" if sold individually but he might have to waste a lot of money on submissions and [!@#%^&^]. Too bad....

jom

I don't believe the FS set is worth 10% of the sellers asking price as the tougher dates have bridges but yet he claims all coins have full steps. What constitutes a full set of steps? And that is, 5 complete steps with full separation between the steps and without the bridges and nicks. And many of the coins only grade MS64 and MS65. So I don't believe selling the coins separately would fair any better. But on the otherhand, there are a few newcomers out there who might pay up to a couple of hundred bucks for some near FS MS64-65 tougher dated nickels for their collections. But I think each of those coins, like the 1949 or 1953 and so on, would need to be accompanied by a large detailed picture and a pic of the steps to bring in the higher bids.

But the way the thing is packaged, I would be hesitant receiveing the set for a looksy and returning it when the capital holder can easily be opened and the possibilty exists that the coins could be switched.

Leo

If I had the $7500 to buy it, I'd also have the $400 air fare to go see it first! 27_laughing.gif

I've seen this set cycle thrice through eBay. I am curious, but...

Hoot

If you need a large detailed picture of a coin to ascertain its value, what does that suggest?

It's a good indication that I need glasses! 27_laughing.gif

Personally, a good picture of a coin does help me decide if I want to waste my time and money and the postman's time on having a look at a coin. A detailed discription can also be very helpful. The seller has shed some light on the steps of the coins but has said little about each coin's strike and condition. For certain, a long and tidious labor to do so but nontheless, he does want few grands for the set.

I wish the seller well and with hopes that he sells the set. Locating a few of those tougher dates with partial steps can be very difficult. But again, if they're not full step nickels, I'd question what I'm paying 7 and a half grand for.

Leo