• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Making a corroded coin gradeable...

8 posts in this topic

Has anyone here had success taking a coin that was too corroded to grade and turned it in to a pocket coin and worn the corrosion down to produce a gradeable coin?

Depends where the corrosion pitting is located on the coin. It would be extremely hard to wear down the fields of a coin as fast as the raised device area. I would suppose it’s possible dependent on the severity.

Not a corroded one , but I tried carrying around and not accidentally spending an old Franklin half dollar that had light scratches on the obverse. I gave up and just launched it back into a silver melt can after 2 months and almost no effect .

I have not even attempted myself, but a corroded copper can be burnished and recolored to make it slabbable. There are numerous burnished coppers in slabs.

sad...but true!

I gave up and just launched it back into a silver melt can after 2 months and almost no effect .

With a scratch you only gave it two months. No patience. Try more like 3 years or so. I had 2000 Sac I put in my pocket the month they came out and I carried it for two years before I lost it By that time it was down to XF-45 Give you some idea how long you'll have to carry it. Oh and I carried in my pocket with a bunch of other change the whole time.