• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Sommer Islands schilling

9 posts in this topic

I've a Sommer Island Schilling. It's very worn and hard to read but it appears to have the roman numerals XIL above the pig or boar or whatever it is. On the flip side is a ship with maybe 4 flags. Is there any way to tell if this is real or bogus? I'm strictly a novice here so go easy on me people.

I definitely would love to see a picture of that one! It is very likely that what you have is a reproduction, because originals are very rare. The Roman numerals you refer to are actually XII - the denomination. The shilling was 12 pence.

The Sommer Islands shillings are very interesting, and you can read all about them at the links below.

More info:

http://www.coins.nd.edu/ColCoin/ColCoinIntros/SommerIsland.intro.html

http://www.coinfacts.com/colonial_coins/sommer_island/sommer_island_shillings.htm

Thank you for y our reply. I do have a couple of pictures that are pretty clear of the coin in question. I'm just not sure how to attach them here. Is there something here that I'm missing? I'm dying of curiousity here. If you've an idea of how I can do this, I'd be more than happy to do it or I can email them directly to you. Which ever you prefer.

Ted Clark

You can email them to me, although I'm not an expert in these at all. You would be better off posting them here for everyone to look at. See at the bottom of your reply screen where the maroon button to the right says "Switch to Full Reply Screen." Click that.

Now you have two options

1. If your files are hosted on a site like photobucket, click the button third from the left at the top of the box. (mouse over it and it will say enter an image) Copy/paste the link into the dialogue box.

2. If your files are on your hard drive, look down below the text box and you will see a maroon link that says "File Manager (Total Files: 0) " Click on that, and it will pop up a dialogue for you to upload your pics. They must be smaller than 200kb.

My personal opinion is that this is proably a cast copy. It appears to be too thick, and frankly too good in condition. these coins tend to come in horrible shape even for the high grade ones. Look at the two specimens on Coinfacts (pictured below) These are two of the finest known pieces, and are from different dies, neither of which match the OP coin.

sommer_islands_shilling_obv.jpgsommer_islands_shilling_rev.jpg

sommer_island_shilling_2obv.jpgsommer_island_shilling_2rev.jpg

The lettering is different, especially note the beads making up the circles on the obverse. On the genuine coins they are much smaller and more numerous. The Hog on the genuine are much flatter and the design details on the ship are different. (The genuine uses circles for the gun ports on the side, the OP coin has raised sideways rectangles).