• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Would you buy???

14 posts in this topic

Looking for an MS 63 Barber quarter. Heritage has 2 (NGC) that are in my budget but since they are privately consigned, there are no pictures. If it were you, would you even consider the "make an offer" option? There is a 7 day return privlege of course, but do you think this sort of purchase would be a waste of time and shipping costs?

if there is a return and they will follow it i think i would want to know. but i would make sure it is covered by the auctioneer.

I would not buy a coin “sight unseen” in a MS-63 grade, but again, that’s just me. There are some really bad looking coins in 63 holders and but on the other hand, there are some really nice looking ones too. More than likely it is probably just a “ho-um” specimen, but collect what you like and what you can afford.

Affordabilty is going to become a real factor this year.

These are not scarce coins in MS63 holders, therefore, I see little reason to buy one from someone who won't even take the time to image it for you prior to sale. Be patient.

These are not scarce coins in MS63 holders, therefore, I see little reason to buy one from someone who won't even take the time to image it for you prior to sale. Be patient.

As always, I'm with TomB ! ;)

why of course it is a buyers market for this type of coin

and well you need to see it in hand sight seen

everything is a cost

if you travel to a show you got to take time off spend monry for entrance fees to eat and also transport

i would think to gwt a coin sent to you and then you might have to return it so it costs you 12 dollar big deal

if you got a hobby of skiing you will pay one hell of a lot more than that for fees

at least you got a return priviledge and it helpsyou hone your skills

if it aint 100% for you and beautiful send it back

if you are worrying if you can or should make an offer let me tell you something

no dealer is aFRAID TO TELL YOU IF YOU SHOW THEM A COIN TO Buy THAT THEY DO NOT WANT IT OR THEY WILL ONLY PAY SO AND SO

and if you are too afraid to invest a little in learning for postage to take a look see at a coin then you got to get another hobbysomething that does not cost any money

like reading books at the library

everything is a cost

i wish you wlel and hope you make all the right decisions

so in a nut shell

yes make an offer with a full return priviledge

and yes ask to see the coin in person if you do not like it then return it and you got some experience in honing your grading skills and seeing waht is for sale out there in your price range

have them send you the coin first then tell them you want to see it befogfe you deside to buy it or make an offeras you cant make an offer on a coin you cant see in your hand

good luck

and yes by all means first get a photo of said coin sent to you then call them if you think you might like it and ask questions based on the photos if you still want to see it then have them send it to you with the explaination that you first have to see it in hand before you can pay their price or make an offer

if you do not like the coin when you get it return it

does the auction house get the money and hold it until transactions end? ive never bought through them. if this is how it works i wouldnt even need a pic. send me the coin ill look and if its gravy i keep coin.

but only if the auction house is the backer/middle man and is responsable for the item till end cut.

Heritage Rare Coin Galleries is handling this sale as part of a private consignment and there is a full refund wirthin 7 days backed by Heritage. Though I am very hesitant to go in blindly (that's why I posted the question), I kind of agree with Michael in that if nothing else, it would be a learning experience and I can always return it...and just be out shipping and insurance both ways. Who, knows, if I put in a low end bid, maybe I'll get lucky. Undecided...because I see the wisdom of both sides... I know that it breaks every rule there is to buy sight unseen, but I am assuming PCGS wouldn't slab a dog at 63, and Heritage wouldn't want to sully their reputation by offering junk. Ponder...ponder.,..

Thanks for the opinions.

RI AL...under another 6" of snow and still falling

I am assuming PCGS wouldn't slab a dog at 63, and Heritage wouldn't want to sully their reputation by offering junk.

You are already wrong on both points. PCGS and NGC certify a plethora of dogs in the MS grades and Heritage is concerned about making profit, not about operating a boutique numismatic service.

but I am assuming PCGS wouldn't slab a dog at 63, and Heritage wouldn't want to sully their reputation by offering junk. Ponder...ponder.,..

oh my dont kid yourself there are more pigs rats and dogs and total mess in pcgs holders than ngc holders also

heritage is only in business to sell you something be it crapola or not

anyways if it was truly good and an advanced savvy collecor was selling it and it was killer/great the person would not need heritage to sell it for him

just some things to ponder

oh and also what tomb said

when buying let alone consigning to a large auction company from my direct personal experience first hand

i will put it this way

you can tell when they are lying/telling fibs/honey talk to you if their lips are moving while talking to you

I know that it breaks every rule there is to buy sight unseen,

You wouldn't be buying sight unseen because the deal wouldni't be complete untl after you had seen the coin and approved of it. If it was a sight unseen there would be no return privilege I'm also surprised no one even suggested calling them to discuss the coin and ask for a better description and their opinion about it. .Most any dealer selling coins by mail will do that. (And I would trust them more on a consignment piece than one of their own coins that they have already sunk their own money into.)