• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

1921 article in The Numismatist ?

11 posts in this topic

Kudos to David Lange for his article in this months issue of The Numismatist on the coinage of 1921. I found it to be very insightful and educational even for learned collectors.

I would like to ask a question of Mr. Lange concerning the incuse lines around the rays on the 1921 series half dollars. Can the lines you speak of in your article be partially used as diagnostics for authentication ? 893scratchchin-thumb.gif

Hmm, can't wait to get my copy, now. Of course, 1921 was an incredible year as far as coinage is concerned. Often, I'll get patients born in 1921 and before. I can't help but to fantasize about being able to go back into time and pick out some choice coinage! 'tis but a dream.

Who knows what the future holds. Used to be that dreams were of going to the moon, exploring Mars, and having indoor plumbing !!!!

I`ve always been rather fond of the old saying that if you can conceive it , you can achieve it.

Coin collecting itself is somewhat of a trip back in time, even if only in one`s imagination.

Who knows what the future holds. Used to be that dreams were of going to the moon, exploring Mars, and having indoor plumbing !!!!

I`ve always been rather fond of the old saying that if you can conceive it , you can achieve it.

Coin collecting itself is somewhat of a trip back in time, even if only in one`s imagination.

Very well said!

• Member: Seasoned Veteran

I would like to ask a question of Mr. Lange concerning the incuse lines around the rays on the 1921 series half dollars. Can the lines you speak of in your article be partially used as diagnostics for authentication ?

Yes, as far as being a 1921 half dollar, but the lines cannot be used to distinguish between the three mints for that year. Since the biggest problem with 1921 halves is the adding or removal of a mintmark, the lines are more of curiosity value. I've seen some 1941-S halves that were altered to 1921-S, but the work was very crude and easily detected by anyone but a beginner.

Thank you for your response Mr. Lange. It`s always a valued pleasure to receive direct answers to my inquiries from such a renowned numismatist.

I agree. DWLange certainly has my respect! Your contributions to the hobby rank up there with Dave Bowers and the like.

P.S. This is honest feedback and not boo-tay kissing. grin.gif

P.P.S. I found the two articles very interesting. I never knew that about the '21 halves. It does seem like a whole lot of trouble for an engraver to produce the raised outline on the die, however. Well, maybe he had some free time on hand. confused-smiley-013.gif

I just read Dave's article and it was fantastic. Great time capsule and some wonderfully entertaining numismatic info! Thanks!

Hoot

Speaking of time capsules:

I absolutely love Q. David Bower's column in Coin World which presents the market as it was ...

I simply love reading anything that Q. David Bower writes. His writing has a why of drawing you into the subject matter and making you feel like you are living the experience right along with him.

Having said that let me also add that I hold the esteemed Mr. Lange in very high regard also. I have read and thoroughly enjoyed both his The Complete Guide to Lincoln Cents and more recently The Complete Guide to Buffalo Nickels second edition.

John