• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

The Wrong Gasket? or NGC Mix & Match?

8 posts in this topic

I just had my two large size Capped Bust quarters re-holdered in the Edgeview slab. However, both were placed into inserts that are the exact size used for Presidential dollars. Does anyone know if that’s proper procedure? To be frank, the coins do not fit in the inserts, and I will be shocked if this isn’t an error! The Edgeview design is flawed as it is, but NGC absolutely MUST make inserts that fit specific coin series, not mix and match them, or the design is worthless. And Bust quarters are not esoteric! As is, my coins are hard to examine (the obstructive nature of the slab is much more dramtic in person).

Presidential dollars are 26.5 mils, while large size quarters are 27 mills, and the coin presses deeply into the plastic at all four contact points, meaning there is a lot of tension on the coin. It’s not going anywhere, at least, but the extra diameter comes that much closer to the edge of the round gasket opening, and you cannot see the edge without a flashlight because the clearance between edge and gasket is so tight! Further, large size Bust quarters are very thin and you could stack 2 or 3 of them in the space between the front and back lips of these prongs. This is unsafe because it doesn’t fit the coin properly. It also makes for irregular presentation. One of my coins was placed toward the center of the space, with room on each side between the lips, while this 1818 (shown) is pressed all the way to the back lips of the prongs, making a huge space between the front window and the face of the coin, while pressing the reverse right up near the back window. The front and back lips of the prongs need to be near the front and back of the coin with little or no gaps, just as they would be if a Presidential dollar (much thick) were placed in this insert.

I have not yet contacted NGC about this, but will be doing so, shortly. This is either a mix up or disastrous protocol.

The obverse sits deep into the slab.

1818o25b.jpg

1818o25a.jpg

1818o25c.jpg

The reverse is right up next to the window.

1818r25.jpg

I TOTALLY AGREE WITH YOU!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

okie mistakes happen and i know scott schechter at ngc he is now a vice prez and was director of marketing also ngc is customer service orientated

please call ngc and ask to talk to scott or better yet pm here on these boards or e mail him and ask him to look at this thread and yes by your excellent photos this coin was put into the wrong size slab no brainer

but i have no doubt by contacting scott directly he/ngc will take care of this for you !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

things happen please let them know and give them a chance to fix this which they will!!

just show him this thread link it and the response

keep me informed and good luck

mistakes happen and NGC is always very professional and fixes them at no charge..I've had 3 mislabeled coins fixed and 1 missed designation( out of hundreds) and they are always courteous and apologetic..call and then send them in for correction..

The only thing is, you're going to have to incur the cost of sending it to them and them returning it to you.

You'd think that if they made the mistake, of course they'd have no problem fixing it, but that they would incur the cost of bringing it back to them and returning it to you... or at least giving you a couple of freebie coupons? Personally, that's the way I'd take care of it... freebies that is.

The only thing is, you're going to have to incur the cost of sending it to them and them returning it to you.

You'd think that if they made the mistake, of course they'd have no problem fixing it, but that they would incur the cost of bringing it back to them and returning it to you... or at least giving you a couple of freebie coupons? Personally, that's the way I'd take care of it... freebies that is.

Thanks everyone for the input! My main question was whether or not this is standard proceedure, or if it really was a mistake. Beyond that, I am very familiar with NGC customer service, and NGC mistakes. I've had many corrected over the years, from scratched or defective slabs, unsealed slabs, mislabeled mint marks, a 1935 10C labeled 1876 $20, missing Variety Plus designations, and a halfpenny turned blue. The only hesitation is, as Coindude said, the cost of sending the coins back is prohibitively expensive, as one coin is $300 and the other is $2400. However, I send about 50 coins a month, so once I talk to NGC, I will arrange for them to go back with my next submission, if in fact this was a mistake.

My guess is that it is probably NOT a "wrong" holder. You have a problem with the pre 1836 coinage in that they are not all the same size. Since they were struck in an open collar they vary in size depending on the force which which they were struck and the extent to which the planchet was annealed. If you took a group of large capped bustquarters and measured them you would probably find that the diameter is no 27 mm but a range from 26.8 to 27.5 mm. No one insert is going to fit them perfectly and to make a whole series in inserts at .1 mm steps would be cost prohibitive.

I also don't think that is a President dollar holder since I don't see a lot of deforming of the plastic. I think it is more likely an Eagle holder since the post 1836 Eagles were a fixed size of 27 mm but also considerably thicker than the quarter. Once again the expense of creating two holders the same size but with different thickness spacing of the prongs was probably not considered cost efficient considering how many large size quarters are submitted and how many eagles are submitted. (Not to mention the possibility of getting them mixed up.)

I'm inclined to believe this is not an error, also. Yet the jury is still out because NGC never did answered my email. I will have to call them next week

I dont think large size Capped Bust quarters are so asoteric to not be given a holder that fits them a little better. The proportions are wrong in at least 3 different ways; diameter, prong width, and the angle one's eyeball must assume for proper edge viewing. Are they going to place an ultra rare 1827 bust quarter in a disgraceful holder like this? I hope not.

As for what size gasket was used, it's very hard to judge through the holder, but I'm still not convinced its not a 26.5 mill. There is easily enough of a buldge where the coin presses into the prongs, on any two opossing sides, to add up to 1/2 mill, though I did not capture this very well in the pics. I dont like the idea of pressure being placed on the coin like that!