• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Technical question about 1795 half dimes

16 posts in this topic

After study of Logan McCloskey and Valentine (though variety numbers differ) I am quite positive that my half dime is an LM-6 (V-7). I also matched it up to some great pictures I found at Heritage. I am excited that this is one of the rarer ones. Now comes the tricky part....grading...because the coin is in an NNC slab (horrors!) :o graded F-15 but I think that is "a bit" generous

I learned from you guys when I posted my 1795 half dollar about strike qualities of different varieties. Is there a list somewhere as far as which varieties are well struck, and which are more weakly struck in the 1795 half dimes? As with the half dollar, the half dime has bold parts and weak parts. It's a dark coin and crooked in the slab so I can't get a good picture.

Many thanks. Ri AL

Without a picture grading the coin is pretty much impossible.

I've been collecting early half dimes by Red Book variety for more than 30 years. Even so I can't help you very much with the characteristics of the Valentine variety numbers. Most of these coins were weakly stuck. It’s unusual to find one that has all of Ms. Liberty’s hair fully struck and all of the feathers on the eagle.

Here are the two coins from my collection. The 1794 is a high end AU-50. The 1795 is an AU-58. The 1795 is virtually full Mint State sharpness, and probably would have made it into a low end Mint State holder if it had not been for Ms. Liberty’s shinny nose.

1794HalfDimeO-1.jpg1794HalfDimeR-1.jpg

1795HalfDimeO.jpg1795HalfDimeR.jpg

You also might want to check out the coin in this thread. Despite what the others said, this is a decent peice for what it is. One might call this coin a choice VG, but if I wanted it I'd be happy to pay Fine money for it.

1795 half dime NGC message board

Those half dimes are absolutely incredible! Mine is VERY sick in comparison...but at least I have one though its better days are well past.

Thanks for the note and beautiful photos!!

RI AL

I seem to be annoying people ATS today, so I guess in the spirit of equal opportunity, I will do it here;

NNC is no guarantee of authenticity, let alone grade. I recommend cracking your coin out of that holder and submitting to NGC/NCS, ANACS, or PCGS. Or submit it in the holder if you think you would have the possibility of returning the coin to the seller in case it does turn out to be fake. Each of these grading companies will give you an assessment of authenticity, at the very least. 1795 half dimes have been counterfeited to some extent, so that would be the first concern for me.

I recall a thread ATS some time ago that discussed a 1792 half disme in an NNC holder. Conclusion to that thread was that the coin was really an "aged" Gallery Mint reproduction.

Just sayin'

Hi, Barndog

It's funny that you might suggest that the half dime might be a fake because I had the same thought. I found online, a really good site that discusses the characteristics of the fakes that were produced, if I remember right, in the 1960's-70's. VERY careful examination of the points in the article as well as a comparison to my coin showed no similarities. Things like an indentation at the top of the 7 and parts missing from the lower loop of the 5 are indicators of fakes.

If anyone is interested, go to www.money.org and search 1795 half dime counterfeits.

Ri AL

weight and specific gravity can't be compared from within the slab. I do recommend that you seek to protect your expenditure with authentication. There are some darn good fakes out there that have fooled good dealers.

post of photo of that bad boy in the nnc slab

better yet break it out as the coin is worth the same in or out of the holder and even if you break it out and it is damaged somewhat or even not genuine the company does not stand behind anything (go try to collect) so either way it is the same in or out of the holder and out of the holder it can be more easily evaulated and if genuine submitted to a better slab service

I seem to be annoying people ATS today, so I guess in the spirit of equal opportunity, I will do it here;

NNC is no guarantee of authenticity, let alone grade. I recommend cracking your coin out of that holder and submitting to NGC/NCS, ANACS, or PCGS. Or submit it in the holder if you think you would have the possibility of returning the coin to the seller in case it does turn out to be fake. Each of these grading companies will give you an assessment of authenticity, at the very least. 1795 half dimes have been counterfeited to some extent, so that would be the first concern for me.

I recall a thread ATS some time ago that discussed a 1792 half disme in an NNC holder. Conclusion to that thread was that the coin was really an "aged" Gallery Mint reproduction.

Just sayin'

I think that with even a halfway decent image, we could determine whether the coin is authentic or not.

I'll tell ya, guys. (First off...thanks for the offers to help)...this piece is kind of a dog and photos are really hard to get because of the color of the obverse and that it is crooked in the slab ...but I'll try again. Actually, I did post this somewhat ugly piece here a while back and THAT photo was lousy too. I'm happy to try again. Please...no hysterical laughter when you see my poor baby :roflmao: I'm a "sensitive kind a' guy and...she's the best I'll ever own. I am still toying with the NCS idea to see if they can make it any less butt ugly but as far as I can determine, the obverse color shows no corrosion or indication that it was "acidified" so I THINK it is just odd toning. A view under the microscope shows no chemical etching in the surface. Detail on the coin is actually not bad!

That scratch on the reverse is not nearly as bad as it looks in the photo..my light source seems to bring it out. I think it may actually be on the slab.

Regarding ATS, though I am a member (still have my 10 (or is it 8)) free certifications certificate, I tremble at the thought of visiting "ATS". Are they really THAT nasty over there??? I left the The E-Bay coin chat group in short order because they were kind of hostile too. What is it about coin chat people...excepting YOU guys of course. :grin: RI AL

1795halfdime001-1.jpg

1795halfdime002-1.jpg

Yeah, F-15 is a tad generous. It looks like it might BB due to the fresh looking scratch on the reverse, which is probably why its in the NNC in the first place. I would say send it to NCS, let them do what they can for it, and put it in one of their holders. They'll determine its authenticity too.

Yeah, F-15 is a tad generous. It looks like it might BB due to the fresh looking scratch on the reverse, which is probably why its in the NNC in the first place. I would say send it to NCS, let them do what they can for it, and put it in one of their holders. They'll determine its authenticity too.
In addition to the scratch, it appears to be environmentally damaged, but genuine.

RI AL,

I think it is definitely worth a shot to see what NCS can do for that coin. Underneath whatever that discoloration may be, it looks like you've got a real beauty of a coin there.

Brandon

Thanks, guys.

I think NCS is the answer. I'm not really sure how to submit to NCS, never done it, and I assume I will have to crack it out of the slab...another new experience. Wow...this adventure is full of "firsts". hm

I also vote "genuine" and agree that it is an LM-6 or in the classic book, Valentine 7. Given the remaining detail minus the environmental damage and the reverse scratch, I'd net grade it to G-VG. Given that the variety is an R-6 (estimated 13 to 30 known) that's not bad.