• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Crusty, Circulated Classic Commemorative Half Dollars

36 posts in this topic

This post is in honor of TomB & Mike King!

Both are Connecticuttites! Is that even a word? (:

I understand that Tom even has an XF CT commem. I just won mine on e-bay. Paid stupid money for it but sometimes a man either must step up or pass. These truly are very rare in any form of circulated crustiness.

Most boardsters don't realize that I started branching out and started collecting circulated commems. Some are extremely tough to find like the CT, Hawaiian, Roanoke and Gettysburg among others. The CT is so rare that I put a very high back up bid on my bidnapper and paid MS64 money for this XF45. No regrets. Someone wanted it almost as much as I did. Whoever it was must have been big time disappointed since his $250 bid was good for days but he got napped at the last 5 seconds. So sorry. :P

Even though I have about half of the 50 coin set, only 9 were graded so I entered the set into the NGC registry today. here

72125.jpg.00e2d23e80c73117b86aa449d0dc79a2.jpg

72126.jpg.5c7c6ae56ce5c90ff454a12706cde2a5.jpg

I always get concerned when I notice my name in the title of a thread. hm However, MikeKing was also listed, so I then had this reaction. :o No doubt there are other CT folks on these boards, but CTCollector is among us, too.

You are correct, Victor, that the CT commem is a beast to find in circulated condition as long as one wants a problem-free coin. This is also a coin that has a relatively high basal value, which means that you can't exactly scoop one up for next to nothing. Here is my coin that I purchased in NH perhaps two years ago-

CT_Obv.jpg

CT_Rev.jpg

Those are great looking commems Victor and TomB really like the eagle. (thumbs u

Hey, I see it's your birthday. Felix Cumpleanos!

Just spent the last however much time taking these pics while YunYun is packing. Such a good woman and such a poor husband. :P God bless her. :grin:

Enjoy!

72131.jpg.9e6f03d6b7a1297c82ed88611670f0a1.jpg

72132.jpg.4c83831b8f66bc12c21b3d3ec77e2bf3.jpg

72133.jpg.dd7674c6d8d169970193beaddcc69730.jpg

Who would ever think that a circulated coin could be so beautiful?

Oh my. Sometimes, the gem cameo circulated dark grey original beauties are far more attractive than the uncirculated ones. Quite often, in fact.

This is a great thread !

Thanks. I'm checking out your set in a sec.

My goal once and if I ever finish this set is to get the entire type set in NGC multi-holders starting with the Columbus, Isabella & LaFayette commems in the first holder and then 5 coins each in the holders thereafter.

Wish me luck! :wishluck:

Hey Vic,

My first time posting here.

You are driving me crazy with these beautiful circ commems. I really like your Texas and might even consider a trade for mine. Anyway, here's a CT in honor of your recent acquisition. This is probably and AU-58 with a light pink patina. I also threw in the Texas for the heck of it.

th_193520Connecticut20Commemorative-1.jpgth_ConnecticutCommreverse.jpgimg110.jpgimg106.jpg

Rick! Welcome aboard! For those who don't know him--he's a bug doc! A guy who actually is having an impact on our environment and a mature collector in the vein of TomB. He likes crusty, early halves and the same for his classic commems.

You wanna trade? In a heart beat! Your's is soooooo lovely!

The MD I sent you should be sistered with your CT. (thumbs u

Hey Rick, welcome to the boards. If Vic says you're good, you pass our test. :lol:

Just post more like that Texas and you'll have no problems from me. ;)

Welcome to the forum. :hi:

Impressive classic commem's. I have a boone that I am carrying as a pocket piece that I hope one day to have worn down to VF so I can put it in my 7070. I need to find me another NC commem, maybe Roanoke or since I was born in Columbia, SC I might get that one and carry it around as well.

:thumbsup: on the California, Winston!

Ditto, they are tough to find like that!

Hey, is there PVC on my California or what? It has a greenish tint on the pics that I never noticed in hand???

I'm glad that you found this post, Mike, even though it is ancient history now.

These are two commems that I purchased this week.

81083.jpg.a8e58d2356658b61e17167f53f699dee.jpg

81085.jpg.08dc68812deac35500cceb749fd50f01.jpg

81086.jpg.f82021e8e145731bd34920bc99786416.jpg