• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

I jut hate this kind of Ebay stuff

12 posts in this topic

I came across this auction for an 84-O Morgan DMPL. The start price is 94.99 I think. Have a look at these pictures and tell me it's not highly polished. Well, after asking the seller if he was aware it was polished(not very diplomatic,I know),here his response:

"Not quite sure I understand your question. Are you TELLING me or ASKING me? The coin does NOT look to have been cleaned in any way. Thanks for visiting!"

Just had to vent

71979.jpg.3aa2a608614be584d0865d0e2b3c2a73.jpg

71980.jpg.9d726e9be58c64a36f8470cf33368055.jpg

Have a look at these pictures and tell me it's not highly polished.

OK, it's not highly polished. Any more fairy tales you'd like to hear?

Well,yeah, I'm kinda wanting to hear the Old lady and the Shoe.Know that one?

Have a look at these pictures and tell me it's not highly polished.

OK, it's not highly polished. Any more fairy tales you'd like to hear?

Well,yeah, I'm kinda wanting to hear the Old lady and the Shoe.Know that one?

Well, once upon a time, in a land not so far away and a time not so far removed, there lived a little old lady. She had a vast coin collection, and spent many hours a day looking at her brilliant coins. But then she stumbled upon Ebay, and discovered that coins with color were selling for vast premiums. So this little old lady got out an old pair of her husband's shoes, ones he had worked in and broken in very well. She put a few of her Morgan dollars in there, and set it in the oven to bake for a while. In a few hours, she checked back up on them, and discovered to her great delight that her coins were all gorgeously toned rainbows now.

She took fuzzy pictures of them, and put them up for auction. She told how she was a little old grandmother, and that she needed to sell these coins because her investments had tanked over the past year. She told how she had inherited these coins from her grandfather before her, how they had come straight from the bank and never circulated. She told how they had over the years developed this beautiful toning.

And the coins sold like hotcakes! She made a fortune off her beautiful rainbow coins. One day, a savvy numismatist with experience in toning called this little old grandma out for her toned coins. He got her phone number from Ebay and gave her a call, to try and tell her that her rainbow coins were all artificial, and that she should stop selling them. He figured the little old lady had been duped by a dealer, but was telling the story to help them sell better. Much to his surprise, a gruff middle aged man picked up the phone, cussed him out, and hung up. Lo and behold, there never was a little old lady after all!

Do Coin Collectors have Larger Brains?

People who collect coins grow bigger brains than those who don't. Researchers at Harvard, Yale, and the Massachusetts Institute of Technology have found the first evidence that coin collecting can alter the physical structure of our brains. Brain scans they conducted reveal that experienced collectors boasted increased thickness in parts of the brain that deal with grading and processing sensory input.

In one area of gray matter, the thickening turns out to be more pronounced in older collectors than in younger collectors. That's intriguing because those sections of the human cortex, or thinking cap, normally get thinner as we age.

"Our data suggest that coin collecting can promote cortical plasticity in adults in areas important for cognitive and emotional processing and accurate grading" says L. Sperber, leader of the study and a psychologist at Legend Medical School. "These findings are consistent with other studies that demonstrated increased thickness of gray areas in the brains of collectors, and visual and motor areas in the brains of jugglers. In other words, the structure of an adult brain can change in response to repeated practice."

The researchers compared brain scans of 20 experienced collectors with those of 15 noncollectors. Four of the former taught meditation or yoga, but they were not monks living in seclusion. The rest worked in careers such as law, health care, and mechanics. During scanning, the collectors graded their coins; the others just relaxed and thought about whatever they wanted.

Mediators did Buddhist "insight meditation," which focuses on whatever is there, like noise or body sensations. It doesn't involve "om," other mantras, or chanting.

"The goal is to pay attention to sensory experience, rather than to your thoughts about the sensory experience," Sperber explains. "For example, if you suddenly notice a particular variety on a coin, you just admire it rather than thinking about it. If your leg falls asleep, you just notice the physical sensations. If nothing is there, you still ignore your wife nagging you about spending $300 on one stupid nickel." Successful collectors get used to not thinking or elaborating things in their mind.

The increased thickness of gray matter is not very much, 4 to 8 thousandths of an inch. "These increases are proportional to the time a person has been coin collecting during their lives," Sperber notes. "This suggests that the thickness differences are acquired through extensive practice and not simply due to differences between collectors and noncollectors."

As small as they are, you can bet those differences are going to lead to lots more studies to find out just what is going on and how collecting might better be used to improve health and well-being, and even slow aging.

More basic questions need to be answered. What causes the increased thickness? Does coin collecting produce more connections between brain cells, or more blood vessels? How does increased brain thickness influence daily behavior? Does it promote increased communication between intellectual and emotional areas of the brain?

"The results were very encouraging," Sperber remarks. "But further research needs to be done using a larger number of people and testing them multiple times. We also need to examine their brains both before and after learning how to collect coins. Our group is currently planning to do this. Eventually, such research should reveal more about the function of the thickening; that is, how it affects emotions and knowing in terms of both awareness and judgment."

Slowing aging?

Since this type of collecting counteracts the natural thinning of the thinking surface of the brain, could it play a role in slowing - even reversing - aging? That could really be mind-boggling in the most positive sense.

Sperber is cautious in her answer. "Our data suggest that one small bit of brain appears to have a slower rate of cortical thinning, so collecting may help slow some aspects of cognitive aging," she agrees. "But it's important to remember that graders and finalizers suffer from the same ailments as the rest of us. They get old and die, too. However, they do claim to enjoy an increased capacity for attention and memory."

If you don't like something on ebay then don't buy it.

What I hate about ebay is their stupid rules restricting sellers giving negs to nitwit buyers and forcing sellers to accept 100% paypal. If you do take a check on an item do not mark it as paid as this will trigger something in their computer system which matches your sale with paypal.

At shows I have heard increasing complaints from ebay sellers about burecratic mullets making incredibly stupid decisions in interfering with their business.

I think if ebay is going to continue to be successful they will need to reduce fees and decrease their interference with sellers (who afterall are paying customers). They need to reduce staff and return to the "old ebay."