• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Off topic...what is "skype chat"

5 posts in this topic

I don't know how it relates to eBay, but Skype is an alternative communications system that travels over the Internet.

If you're signed up, you can video conference (or just voice if you don't have cameras) for free computer-to-computer. They also have the means to call computer-to-telephone, for rates that they say are very cheap (haven't tried computer-to-telephone yet).

A lot of the guys use this out on the rig to talk to/see loved ones while we're out there. It takes a decent internet connection, which is sometimes hard out on a rig, but it is good otherwise. My roommate does this to keep close to his girlfriend (living in Las Vegas), and I will be using it with my girlfriend (in Charleston) when she gets a new laptop this spring.

OK, thanks guys. I thought it was like an "IM'ing thing between seller and perspective buyers. I don't have a mike nor camera attached to my computer so I guess it won't make any sense for me to sign up.

Thanks for clearing it up for me.

Alan