• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Reagan on the Dime?

45 posts in this topic

I read a column in today's (12-13) Wall Street Journal about the Reagan/dime proposal. The bill apparently says that that Reagan's picture can be placed on the dime "after such date as the [Treasury] Secretary deems to be appropriate" which might well be after President Reagan's death. In addition, the conservative activist who came up with the idea, Grover Norquist, has suggested issuing Reagan and FDR dimes simulataneously, that is, half of the nation's dimes would feature a portrait of FDR and the other half would feature RR. I wonder if Mr. Norquist might have refined his proposal in responce to Mrs. Reagan's opposition.

Mark

893scratchchin-thumb.gifI like that idea.Two Dimes.

Isn't there a law that says the design has to remain basically the same for 25 years before it can be changed?

You are right but didn't the Virginia people just ram thru a "law" (or try anyway) from keeping the Jeff nickel intact forever? So much for the 25 year "law" and allowing the Treasury Dept. to handle these things...

jom

Isn't there a law that says the design has to remain basically the same for 25 years before it can be changed?

Greg,

you are correct, 25 years it is.

John

Then how does the statehood quarter program work? The whole program is only 8 years. Are they thinking it doesn't apply since GW is still on the obverse? As far as I'm concerned its a different coin(s). JMHO...

Actually, I believe the state quarters are commemorative coins and as such they can be minted as mandated by congress. IMO when the state quarter program ends we will get a new design for the quarter.

By the way did you know that the original Washington quarter minted in 1932 was supposed to be a one year commemorative coin?

John

My understanding of the law is that a design cannot be changed in the first 25 years without an act of Congress. After 25 years, the designs may be changed at the discretion of the Treasury (someone at the mint, not sure exactly who's responsible). I believe that the act for the state quarters addressed the issue, with an act of Congress mandating the timing of the design changes during the program.

Yes, so "an act of Congress" shouldn't stop the Treasury from changing anything after 25 years, right? So why did Virginia get that bill thru? Or did they...I could be wrong. 893scratchchin-thumb.gif

Also, this proposal of having BOTH dimes just reeks of Political Correctness and/or partisan politics. Sure it's a compromise but my question is why are the insufficiently_thoughtful_persons in Washington making these decisions in the first place? mad.gif

jom

Ok, I didn't explain that well. Let's try again.

To change a design before it's been in use 25 years requires an act of Congress (this last happened with the Sacagawea, but more notable with the Kennedy Half.

After 25 years, it may be changed without an act of Congress by the mint, however, should Congress act to prevent such a change (as with the nickel) then Congress trumps the will of the mint. So if the mint decides today to make a new cent design, it's just fine unless Congress passed legislation preventing the change, if Congress does nothing, the mint can do as it pleases in that case, so long as the basic design requirements (date, denomination, mottos, etc) are still adhered to.

....should Congress act to prevent such a change (as with the nickel) then Congress trumps the will of the mint.

So the original law (the "25 year law") is written as such? If so, what was the point of the law? If the Treasury wanted to change the design every 5 years the Congress could simply stop them from doing it. What does having a "25 year law" do exactly? OK, I'm a [!@#%^&^]...I just don't get it. laugh.gif

jom

Maybe they should just start using lesser known presidents so that people can learn more about them. I mean we all know quite a bit about Washington, Jefferson, Lincoln and Kennedy, etc. How about those less known ones like Van Buren, Harrison, etc?

Maybe we can improve our knowledge of history by starting with the oldest president not already on a coin (not commems) and working our way forward. It will be a while before we get to Reagan, Bush1, Clinton and Bush2.

....should Congress act to prevent such a change (as with the nickel) then Congress trumps the will of the mint.

So the original law (the "25 year law") is written as such? If so, what was the point of the law? If the Treasury wanted to change the design every 5 years the Congress could simply stop them from doing it. What does having a "25 year law" do exactly? OK, I'm a [!@#%^&^]...I just don't get it. laugh.gif

jom

Jom, the point of that law is the 25 year threshold. The idea was that they didn't want changes to coin designs willy nilly, so if you adopt a design you'd better be prepared to live with it for at least a quarter century. The only time you can change a design earlier than 25 years is if Congress approves (not an easy feat). So changing every 5 years in your example could be stopped by Congress, instead it couldn't even be started without Congressional passing a law allowing it. After 25 years, the mint can change it with the de facto approval of Congress (they may change it, and Congress need not specifically approve it) but Congress does have "veto" power over the mint in that it can legislate that a design or design content not be changed.

Yeah, I suppose I follow that... 893scratchchin-thumb.gif

BUT....regardless of Congress having this power I just hate when partisan groups (in this case self-serving Virginians) push this [!@#%^&^] through Congress. Especially when they KNOW most people aren't paying attention. BOGUS. mad.gif

Frankly out coinage is DULLARD compared to many other countries (Canada, some in Europe). I know we have great artists who can render a design that shows our country in a good light. Having dead Presidents isn't what our fore-fathers had in mind...I'm sure. confused.gif

jom

Right on, Hoot! If humans MUST be on coinage, put them on commems! If this were the way it started back with Washington and changed with every presidency, can you imagine the commem set to present? MS and PR (when it was invented)?

This would have made a great series!

IMO, I think all our coins could do without faces. How about all the natural wonders that abound within our borders? It has PARTIALLY started with the statehood quarters, but I think it would have been even better had they given the obverse a new design. And how about an animals likeness once it goes extinct? Now this would make another great series! Bugs and all! Same thing as a dead president, isn't it? 893scratchchin-thumb.gif

I do not remember a presidents deeds (or misdeeds!) because I see his likeness every day on a coin. But rather because of the deeds themselves and how they have transformed who we are as Americans, good AND bad.

GIVE US ALLEGORY!!!!! thumbsup2.gifthumbsup2.gifthumbsup2.gif

David

I've never thought of that before but it is an excellent idea! thumbsup2.gif

When the state quarters were at about the eigth state or so,I remember reading a poll that 40% of Americans were saving the state quarters. That same month,the Dept. of Commerce put out a report that one in four Americans were saving for retirement. In other words,15% of all Americans only savings were the state quarters. This being the case,I think we should make commerative five dollar bills.

When the state quarters were at about the eigth state or so,I remember reading a poll that 40% of Americans were saving the state quarters. That same month,the Dept. of Commerce put out a report that one in four Americans were saving for retirement. In other words,15% of all Americans only savings were the state quarters. This being the case,I think we should make commerative five dollar bills.

Friggen incredible. What a twist as only the gov't can do. It is kind of like when the gov't plans on spending 400 billion for fiscal year 2004 but instead only spends 300 billion. They will then come out and say how they cut the budget by 25%.

Despite the rant, thanks for the post Shadroch.