• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

This one's for Victor!!!

9 posts in this topic

Dang! That's a nice one (of that particular variety/overton :grin:;) )

Indeed it is, thanks! :cloud9: You cant see all the shimmering luster though.

Victor must be a one leaf short of a bunch if he cant get this one!

True. I'll admit it! I snagged that leaf. It just so happened to be that there wacky-tabacky. Hence, now I just don't care! Far out, maaan! :grin:

OK, as long as Victor is asleep at the switch...I'm going to take a crack at the variety and say O-105a. If I'm seeing what I THINK I'm seeing, there are the "3 heavy bars at the ear" resulting from a die clash with the reverse shield. Also, on the reverse, the top leaf is thin and single as compared with the usual grouping of 2 leaves. Grade...oh what the heck, I'd say VF 30 but like the 1795 half discussion in another thread, I am wondering if strike weakness plays a factor here because if there is "shimmering luster", it probably is higher...like maybe XF 40??? Heck...I don't know.

RI AL

OH...PS...the "one leaf short of a bunch" by coinman1794 is a bit of a "subtle" hint.

Bingo on the variety, RI AL! O-105a, Single Leaf. These are so hard to find choice original that I had to have this one when I found it in 2002.

Notice how soft the detail is on the drapery and clasp, as well as the lower feathers of the left-faceing wing, yet those areas don't show wear spots. The wear spots of clearly defined by the light areas. That means you have a softly struck coin with light wear that may seem deceptively heavy, becuae it is overtop a soft strike. Now, it is possible for a coin to receive wear and then tone, only to recieve new wear spots later on. However, this coin has shimmering luster throughout the fields and in and around the devices, and this confirms that the weakness is from strike. Also, the 105a tends to be weak in those areas. This is a solid XF coin. The old ANACS and NGC as of 2002 both gave this a 40. I was tempted to send it to PCGS this month (grading rather loose on early US right now) for a 45, because it really has the luster of one. But I may simply do a reholder into an edgeview slab at NGC. It currently sits in an infamous "bubbly plastic" slab :(

Coinman1794.

I'm glad you explained the strike issue on this one. What had me a bit puzzled is the "wear" on the inside of the left wing where usually it is the area around the top of the wing that shows the wear first. So, soft strike makes a lot of sense and also explains the soft clasp and drapery. I think I am finally starting to catch on...sort of..

RI AL