• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Raw Coin Storage

25 posts in this topic

Hey guys,

What do you all feel is the best way to store/encapsulate/display the coins that you do not feel are worth certifying with a TPG?

Brandon

Intercept shield albums are great for storage and display and to minimize/prevent toning. If you want your coins to pick up some toning then Danscos are great. This is what I use for lots of my coin series. I'm dropping 'em off next week in my safe deposit box for security reasons for the more expensive sets.

Sets look good in Capitol Holders, and there are notebook-type pages available for cardboard 2x2's. You can also try coin albums ( Dansco, Whitman, etc.) or display cases/boxes.

These are some ways to display your coins - I'll let others chime in with their preferences for ways to protect them.

While not as common as the 2x2's I use 1.5x1.5's and keep them in triple row boxes.

First by using the smaller holders that will fit coins up to a half dollar you end up saving a LOT of room.

Also I prefer the boxes over the pages because it is much easier and takes less time to keep them all in order. I am sure if I was a dealer I would probably be going with pages so it is easier for the customers to flip threw but I am not.

Most of my raw coins are in 2x2s in plastic pages in an album. I prefer the larger 2x2 over the 1.5s because there is room to write a little quick info on them, without it looking all cramped. I usually write the date, denomination, county, and a reference number for easy location in my spreadsheet.

Very cool guys, thank you for all of the tips. I currently keep them in Danscos and 2x2 flips. I am very much liking the airtights/Eagle book combo. Also will have to pick up some 1.5 flips for the smaller coins. Once again, thanks guys I appreciate it!

Brandon

I have to agree with EZ-E. I really like the Eagle 2x2 rigid plastic holders and the pages that the holders slide into. They are a lot pricier than cardboard 2x2's but they look great and hold the coins very well while providing a real sharp looking appearance. brent-krueger.com sells them at a discount

The only downside of the Eagle albums is that the pages are made of mylar and crack and break fairly easily and they get marred easily as well.

If you're using cardboard 2x2s, you'd better make your first purchase be a flat cinch stapler or I promise you'll regret it one day.

I like dansco albums, AirTites, and SafFlips.

No matter what type of holder I use for raw coins, there is always some Intercept Sheild product involved, whether an insert inside a safe-flip with the coin, or the holder stored in an IT box. This technology seems too good to leave out of the equation, especially for long term storage.

If you're using cardboard 2x2s, you'd better make your first purchase be a flat cinch stapler or I promise you'll regret it one day.

Also, 2X2's windows usually are covered with cardboard dust from the manufacturing process which can cause spots on coins. Suggest using compressed air or whipping with a clean cotton cloth to remove the cardboard dust prior to holdering your coin.

EZ-E

You're right about the Eagle pages cracking over time. I have a few that need replacing. Still, I like the look and think that the occasional replacement problem is pretty minor compared to the neat look of a full page. I have also become the master of clear Scotch packing tape when I get a split page.

RI AL

Stuff from the Mint stays in mint packaging (does that count as raw?). Modern circulated stuff has been in Whitman coin folders for years, but I'm slowly moving them to DirectFit AirTites because I've noticed them toning in recent years in an unattractive manner (yellowing), possibly due to them sitting on particle-board shelves. Stuff that I have lots of, like state quarters or prezzy fun bucks, I keep in coin tubes.

I hate keeping all of that daaaamn packaging but I do it anyway. I like to enjoy my coins as a whole, 'tis the advantage of the Eagle albums.

I use Intercept 2x2's placed vertically in Eagle pages for my quarter collection (they don't fit horizontally the way you normally use them). I am going to buy a Archival Clam shell album soon so I can look at them like a book. Had quarters in Dansco and moved out as they were tonning like crazy and I wasn't sure if I liked it.

Use Airtights in safeflips placed or IS box's for Lincolns/IHC that aren't graded, mixed with IS 2x2's. These are in ziplock bags that allow the air to be sucked out with a little machine (Reynolds brand) and rechargeable dessicant in there too. I am in a humid area so I have to go crazy with these methods.