• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

NGC releases new highly scratch resistant slab. nice work!

11 posts in this topic

Is this the same as the already released new slab? Because I have two of them (WITHOUT EDGE PRONGS!!!!!) and they are already unnacceptably scratched. They came from the dealer like that. It probably comes from trying to stack them with the old holders. Why can't they make them stack properly?

Nah. It appears that they intend to charge us extra for this "latest technology."

sure, if you're interested in getting your high dollar coins re-holdered to avoid nasty scratches, $10 isn't too bad if you're sending another order in anyway. I hate having higher end gem coins, with a scratched up slab. pet peeve i guess.

unfortunately these scratch resistant coated pieces of plastic tend to peel and get unsightly with a few years of age especially so if exposed to light

only time will tell

Yep I hate scratches and they affect resale of coins unless you can take a picture that hides them

Sometimes a slab is horrible and you can get a massive contrast between a professional photo and a professional photo in a horrible slab..

My case example may not be perfect, but the first picture caused the coin to be one of the ONLY coins in the sale not to exceed high estimate. Some prices were insane at this sale.

Goldberg images in "scratched to hell slab with some white stuff on it" vs NGC photo proof (out of slab? in new slab? don't know)

115343dr6.jpg

Becomes

1878268-014O.jpg

I was much happier when I got the coin back from reholder. It looks amazing, nothing like the first image. Imagine the first image but with the clarty and clean fields of the second image, and that is kind of how it looks to the eye. Mirror in the fields make it bright and cameo like too..

Ok, I like the idea of the scratch resistant slab, and the technology they are using is a proven one (I have worn glasses for 15 years now, with the scratch resistant stuff. It works). I am a little confused by their press release though - so the new scratch resistant slabs will only be standard on express and walk through? Will the old scrath prone slabs be used for the lower tiers? (where, I'm guessing, the bulk of submissions occur) Is it going to be an option on the submission form to pay the extra and get the scratch resistant slab, or are you going to have to get the scratchy ones, and then resubmit for reholder? That seems like it will a lot of people off, paying for shipping twice and having your coins gone that long, but that's the way the release sounds.

Also, and very importantly, will there be some distinguishing mark or feature to alert the buyer to the fact that it is a scratch resistant slab? Besides the lack of scratches of course, which could just indicate a brand new lower tier slab as well. Market acceptance, and willingness to pay the extra fee, will be determined by disclosure and awareness.

Overall, it sounds like a good idea. I just wish they would make the regular holders more scratch resistant as well. I know exactly what you mean, RareSov. Take a look at the 1952 Franklin in my registry set to see my worst scratched slab.

About time someone started using this type of technology! Kudos to NGC!

Ok, I like the idea of the scratch resistant slab, and the technology they are using is a proven one (I have worn glasses for 15 years now, with the scratch resistant stuff. It works).

What I cant understand is why they STOPPED doing it. The first three generations of NGC slabs also had the scratch resistant coating. (According to what I was told by NGC when I was writing the slabbook.) So they were doing the scratch resistant coating twenty years ago. Another case of reintroducing something they have already done and touting it as a new innovation.

Also note, the coating is scratch RESISTANT not scratch proof. The way many people handle the slabs they are still going to get scratched up. This coating is not going to mean the end of the scuffed up slab.

It sounds like they will introduce it on those high tiers first. Just like the new holder was introduced on those tiers first.

They say it couldn't be done just a few years ago, so it must be better newer technology than 15yo glasses.. just my thoughts but I'm sure we will hear more soon

About time someone started using this type of technology! Kudos to NGC!

Ok, I like the idea of the scratch resistant slab, and the technology they are using is a proven one (I have worn glasses for 15 years now, with the scratch resistant stuff. It works).

What I cant understand is why they STOPPED doing it. The first three generations of NGC slabs also had the scratch resistant coating. (According to what I was told by NGC when I was writing the slabbook.) So they were doing the scratch resistant coating twenty years ago. Another case of reintroducing something they have already done and touting it as a new innovation.

Also note, the coating is scratch RESISTANT not scratch proof. The way many people handle the slabs they are still going to get scratched up. This coating is not going to mean the end of the scuffed up slab.

I doubt the early NGC slabs had any protective coating. More likely early NGC slabs used a different type of plastic. Unfortunately, a more scatch resistant plastic requires a harder and, hence, a more brittle type of plastic. Several of the early NGC slabs in my collection have cracks and large chips out of the plastic. The decision of NGC to change to a softer plastic was most likely to reduce this problem with chipped and shattered slabs.