• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

What are your goals for 2009?

22 posts in this topic

A similar thread in November/December asked '(a) whether you set collection goals in 2008, and (b) if so how did you do in meeting them?'

Last January (2008), I wrote out my goals for the year, and I feel that they helped me to collect in a more efficient and enjoyable manner. My question to you now is: What are your goals in 2009? If you didn't participate in the previous thread (or even if you did), feel free to also let us know how you did in 2008 in regard to your goals.

As for me, I maintain a semi-public (i.e., poorly visited) blog of sorts where I write about my thoughts and goals. My Year in Review post is currently at the top there, but I'll copy it here. There may be a sentence or two referring to previous posts on the blog.

Last Year: 2008

Looking back at my original goals for 2008 (see post: 'January, 2008' below), my overarching goals were (a) to consolidate my coins from a mish-mash of 'what I liked' into rigidly-defined sets and (b) to limit my collecting endeavors (and expendatures) to coins which would bring me closer to completing those sets. The core sets I decided to work on were: Silver Britannias in MS69 (1998-date), 20th Century US Type, and Lincoln Cents (1909-date; business strikes). These sets were intended to receive the majority of my search efforts, energy, and funds. I also decided to work on several secondary sets, which were meant to be easier and cheaper to add to, in order to keep my attention when core set purchases were more spaced out due to cost or scarcity. The secondary sets consisted of: Favourite British Coins (1800-date), Jefferson Nickels (1938-date; business strikes), and Birds on Coins. Most coins which did not fit into the sets above were sold or will be sold.

My core sets progressed nicely in 2008. I needed quite a few Silver Britannias (1998, 2003, 2006, 2007, and 2008) and over the course of the year, I've added all except the 2007 to my collection. The Britannia set is currently the top set on the NGC registry. My 20th Century Type Set will continue to be a work in progress, but I successfully added some lovely examples of the silver Jefferson Nickel and Mercury Dime, both 1943-P coins. As a tangent to the 20th century type set, I'm putting together a 1943-P MS set, which has run into a stumbling block with the Walking Liberty half which only time or money will solve. My Lincoln Cents didn't grow much, mainly because I just haven't had the spare cash to buy the easy ($30-40) coins. I did happen to pick up one new cent - a decent 1914-S cent in 2008. I'm currently down to just 10 wheats and 1 memorial cent (not counting the upcoming 2009 cents).

My secondary sets were a source of enjoyment all year. They provided a break from the rigidly-defined core sets and gave me a chance to play a little. The Jefferson Nickels Dansco album got a lot of new additions and benefitted greatly from a free checking account I opened which allowed me the free use of a CoinStar counting machine. Oddly, the coolest coin I found while working on that set was a 1893 Liberty Head Nickel mixed up in the Jeffersons. I'm sorry to say that Favourite British Coins, while still remaining 'favourites' did not receive a single new coin in 2008. I just didn't have the funds necessary to add coins of the caliber I want to (one day) collect. I'll continue to research them in the meantime. My Birds on Coins Set is continuing to evolve. I'm not sure how exactly I want to progress with the set definition. In the meantime, I added several very pretty coins to the set in 2008, including a couple of beautiful Belarusian designs.

This Year: 2009

In the upcoming year, I am anticipating that my coin fund will be somewhat smaller than last year. My goal is to further tighten my collection's belt, with a strong focus on building core sets and less attention on paid to additions to secondary sets. My core sets will be redefined as Silver Britannias in MS69 (1998-date) and Birds on Coins to some extent. My core sets will continue to be actively sought out, but my secondary sets - Lincoln Cents (1909-date; business strikes), Favourite British Coins (1800-date), 20th Century US Type, and Jefferson Nickels (1938-date; business strikes) - will be necessarily placed somewhat on the back burner until I get a little more fun money to spend.

I'm down to only two Silver Britannias in MS69 - the 2007 and this year's upcoming 2009 issue. The 2007 has proven to be darn near impossible to locate, but I've leaned that at least 30 NGC MS69s exist, so they're out there...I just have to find them. Hopefully, lots of 2009s will be graded and I'll locate one sooner or later.

I'm really getting excited about building my Birds on Coins set. I'm undecided about trying to stay with precious metals, or adding in the occasional base metal coin. I will likely continue with a mixture of the two, but I'm going to make an attempt to stay away from cheapie coins and collect mainly uncirculated and proof issues. I've considered the possiblity of starting a set of MS69 Australian Kookaburras (1992-date) Silver Dollar (1 oz) coins as an extension of the Birds set. Time will tell. This is the only core set without rigidly-defined coins.

The 20th Century Type Set will hopefully improve a little in 2009. I will focus on finishing the 1943-P set and may possibly work on 1951 and 1982 sets. If I see a can't-pass-it-by Liberty Head Nickel, I'll pick it up. This set probably won't get much more attention than that this year.

My Lincoln cent, Jefferson nickel, and British Favourites sets will continue as in 2008, probably with little progress, honestly. I just don't have the time or money at this point to attack them with fervor. If I see something completely wonderful for them, however, I might pick it up.

Overall, in 2009, my main goal is simply to tread water. I want to keep things organized, maybe add a few coins that I strongly desire, but otherwise leave things at status quo. I wish I could devote more resources to the collection, but unless things change, I'm not seeing that happen right now. Below is my updated want list for 2009, listing the coins I am 'allowed' to buy this year.

Want List (January 2009):

CORE SETS:

Silver Britannias:

2007 NGC/PCGS MS69

2009 NGC/PCGS MS69

Birds on Coins:

2009 Australian Kookaburra S$1 NGC/PCGS MS69

2005 Belarus Silver 20 Rubles Almany Bogs Owl

Other attractive world bird coins

SECONDARY SETS:

Lincolns:

1911-S - problem-free fine, brown, raw

1912-S - problem-free fine, brown, raw

1913-S - problem-free fine, brown, raw

1914-S - problem-free fine, brown, raw

1915-S - problem-free fine, brown, raw

1924-D - problem-free fine, brown, raw

1970-S SD - problem-free, uncirculated or AU RD-BRN, raw

20th Century Type:

1943-P PCGS MS65 Walking Liberty Half - blast white, natural

1901-1912 PCGS MS64 Liberty Head Nickel, untoned

1938-X PCGS MS65FS or MS66 Jefferson Nickel, untoned

1951-X PCGS MS65RD Lincoln Cent, no spotting

1982-X PCGS MS66RD Copper Lincoln Cent, no spotting

1987 PCGS/NGC MS69 Silver Eagle, blast-white, no spots

In 2009 I would like to finish my Franklin set. I am missing 6, but those six are the toughest. If I get lucky, I might be able to do it. I'm not entirely sure what I will work on next, but it will almost definitely be of the half dollar variety.

There are a couple of holes in my shilling set that I need to fill as well.

Beyond that, I would really like to get a really nice Draped Bust half, or if I win the lottery maybe a Flowing Hair. That probably won't happen though.

My goal for 2009 is to get some circulated commems as good as Zach's like his Bay Bridge and Isabella coins! Those would be tough to beat!

Also want to continue reducing my collection down to my core interests.

Really want a really crusty 1795 half in VG8-VF20 and a matching early half dime (at least one of the three types that I need).

And continue picking up Indian tribal and lighthouse license plates that I don't have.

2008 was kinda a soul-searching year for me with coins.

First, It was the second year I made up a purchase plan, but only for stuff the Mint spat out. Because of the two presidents' Liberties released this year, I spent a good $1k on those two coins which ate up a fair amount of my $5k budget (that I went over anyway).

Second, it was the year that I realized that I kinda suck at grading AU-55 through MS-70 coins. Yes, I can tell the difference between MS-70 and AU-55, but AU-58 vs. MS-60, or 63 vs 64, etc. ... I found myself inflating the grades by about 2 points. This was after purchasing 2-3 coins for around $100 that I found out were not worth nearly that much because of the lower grade (they were raw). Consequently, I decided that until I can really grade solidly, I need to restrict myself to certified coins. Doing this actually opened up my collecting because I started to look at online auctions instead of just going to the local coin store.

Third is a result of the above paragraph. I decided that it's time I start to focus on certain sets with specific goals instead of collecting willy-nilly. I had kinda done this before, but it was still much of an "oooo! that coin looks cool! lemme buy it!" mentality without any real goal in mind. So I "narrowed" my Certified coin focus to Silver MS-66 Washingtons, MS-64FB Mercs, MS-64FBL Franklins, and continuing my Ike and SBA sets. I was still going raw for currency and stuff that circulates today, including the 5 dollar coins and quarters, half dollars, nickels, dimes, and cents. Still quite a lot without too much focus.

Reading these boards, Michael's blog (yes, Michael, SOMEONE reads your blog ;) ), Scott's blog, and another coin blog out there have helped me to decide that I can narrow my focus and still have a fair amount of variety.

So, for 2009:

(1) Sell off a fair amount of duplicate coins. For example, I have been collecting from circulation 82 coins from each mint of each state quarter (2 rolls, 1 for type, 1 for date). That's a heck of a lot of money to have tied up in these coins for a program that's now going to effectively go on for at least another 12 years. I also have a lot of duplicate nickels, wheat cents, and MS Kennedies (direct from Mint) that I calculate are worth about $800 face value, $1500 if I were to buy from a dealer. I'm hoping to get about $1k for them ... if I can't, then they're off to the bank.

(2) I still plan on adding to my date sets with all the new coins for 2009. I'm limiting myself to 1 roll of each quarter, though for the moment I'm still doing 2 roll's worth of presidential/sac dollars (1 in original roll, one sorted by best condition, pared down from a few rolls' worth). Except for maybe the mintmark D Sacs, I should be able to get all these for face, so I can always sell them off later for face and not lose money.

(3) I also still plan on getting some of the other stuff the Mint puts out, such as my annual proof sets, my annual SAE, 1/4 oz GAE, and I would do a 1/10 oz PAE, but now I "have" to upgrade to 1 oz because the Mint is discontinuing all fractional PAEs regardless of strike. I also plan on getting the gold St. Gaudens as well as the two commemoratives for this year. My total budget for Mint stuff is about $3.5k (I eliminated a good $1k from what I had in there originally).

(4) For sets that I want to concentrate on, I'm trimming the fat and concentrating on 5 sets. I want to finish my Ike set - I have 9 coins left out of the 35 in the set and all but two of the expensive ones are purchased (including the 1972 Type II). I'm also going to almost complete my SBA set with everything from 1979-1981 except for the 1981 S, which in MS-66 is a $500 coin (I already have the two Type II proofs). I'm also going to start an MS-69 Britannia set (thanks, Michael for the tips!). I plan on only buying 5 of the coins this year, the 1999, 2004, 2005, 2008, and 2009 (I should've gotten the 2008 6 months ago when it was cheaper). In addition, I will be continuing the Chinese Panda set I started last month, buying all coins since 2002 (assuming I can find them) in MS-69 condition.

(5) The fifth set is my 20th Century Type set, all types and varieties during the FIRST year of issue (or 1901) from the Philadelphia mint. I took a close look the prices vs. grades, my budget, etc., and decided that, in general, the turn-of-the-century coins would be around MS-63, next MS-64, and the most recent MS-66. For example, I'll be looking for a 1901 Liberty Head nickel in MS-63, 1913 Buffalo (Type I and II) in MS-64, and then 1938 Jefferson in MS-66 and 1942-P in MS-66FS. Because of the cost and my limited budget, I'll only be looking to complete the nickels and dimes this year. Only the '65 and '76 Washington, the Franklin and Kennedy halves, and a 1922 Peace dollar for those sets, plus a 1901-O Morgan (since 1901 in MS-63 is a very expensive coin). I also really want to add historic gold this year, so a 1908 quarter eagle in MS-62 will round off that goal.

So, I know that it may still sound as though my collecting plans are scattered, but they're much more cohesive this year and I hope that by the end of the year I'll have some interesting and much more complete core sets.

The goal this year is to get some sort of direction .

Seem to have a lot of things started but nothing appoaching a full set . Seem to just be surfing through the auction sites and pick up coins that I like .

So today it was off to ebay for a few things and that could free up some funds for some more buys .

I was going to stop my lincoln proof set at 1959 but have seen the latest coinworld and now really want the 1911 proof from the jack Lee collection . It will be a huge bite from my available funds but hopefully can secure it . :-) but the down side for me will be that I will then want to finish the set all the way down :-)

Got to try and get my peace dollar lot of miss mactched coins under control . Typical of a newb I have just bought coins but had no goal . So now the set will get rejigged and get the set up to a min. ms64.

I have to get myself a 2009 st guadens and the proof sets as well as the silver eagle proofs as well . Plus I have to start a collection with one of my boys .

Jeeez i might have to get another job .

Cheers Martin

I decided that it's time I start to focus on certain sets with specific goals instead of collecting willy-nilly.

The goal this year is to get some sort of direction .

Excellent goal! I also made the same mistake when I returned to the hobby in 2002. Since I gained a collecting focus, I'm become a much more astute buyer. Such a goal shows a maturing in the hobby. This doesn't mean that you can't buy some cool coins that may strike your fancy. I purchased a 1902 crown in MS64 from Doogy with no regrets. I love the Michael slaying the dragon design and it is a nice coin in my collection even though it is my only one of the type. A collector must have fun first off! Afterall, that is why most of us are coin collectors with the investment potential coming in second.

Oh, I also purchased a Queen Victoria 50 year jubilee medal from doogy. I had admired this medal since a year before he offered it for sale. It has gorgeous toning and Queen Victoria brought England from dark times into the Victorian age. Much of the 19th century reforms were a direct result of William Wilberforce's untiring advocacy in parliament aimed at abolishing the slave trade and many, many social reforms. Perhaps Queen Victoria was fortunate to assume the throne when she did.

It is interesting that her mother was an overprotective hen until Victoria was 17 years old and she inherited the throne. She let the Queen mum control her for a year after becoming queen until she shed her control. Plus, she was quite a hotty when she was young although the years weren't too flattering to her in latter life.

EZ-E

Since you seem to be a fan of early English history, might I recommend the DVD series "The Tutors". Series 2 just came out. Basically it's about King Henry Vlll and by the end of series 2, he killed off his second wife, Ann Boleyn. My wife and I watched the 6 or 7 episodes of series 2 in 3 nights (we're really hooked) and series 1 was equally as good. I expect that there will be a bunch more series because he's just about to get hitched to wife 3 and he has a few to go.

RI AL

In 2009, as budget allows, I would like to upgrade several of my U.S. early type pieces and replace (or reholder) some others currently in mongrel slabs. The coins are pretty good in the off brand slabs, but I expect a considerable drop in points. Don't really care because the coins are decent.

My current interests are too scattered including a bunch of foreign collections. When we get a bit further down the line from peoples' holiday spending, I think I'll try the E-Bay thing. Tibet, Albania, Yugoslavia (and it's parts) and my foreign currency collection are all destined for new homes, I hope. I think I'll continue with collecting coins and notes from Peru as we lived there for 4 years and loved it. The music coin collection will hopefully continue to grow as well.

I am also wanting to acquire some more gold...just the 1 ouncers from Austria, Canada, U.S. and the like. Not because I collect it so much but just for a bit of a buffer when the economic S--- hits the fan in 2009. My financial planner (gosh...that sounds impressive but believe me, we are just a minnow in a pool of really big fish) has 4% of our "portfolio" in gold stocks but to me it's not real unless it is in hand...or in the safety deposit box anyway. And these days, 4% of 40% less than last year is NOT MUCH, though I guess the gold stocks didn't do too badly.

I want to find a part time job working with coins somehow. Did this twice previously and really enjoyed it, though the were both just temporary positions.

I have a mass of minor, older foreign (early-mid 1900's with a sprinkling of 1800's I think) that I am trying to figure out how to market most effectively. I tried the "lots" thing on E-Bay, but no takers. This will be a challenge. I just learned that there IS a coin club in the next town over (over the Massachusetts border) and I might check that out and maybe give coins to some YN's to start out on collecting.

It's time to clean house. 50 years of collecting and accumulating makes for a lot of stuff...and it's time to thin the ranks. I mean, if I don't collect it, my son isnt really interested (though he did get pretty far on an Indian Head cent collection in his teen years...I just found it last week stashed away with some of his things that he doesn't want in his new house) and I certainly don't want to burden my wife with it so out it goes. Hopefully with some of the proceeds from all the above, I can accomplish goal #1 above.

:blahblah:

RI AL

Well, I didn't set any goals in 2008 which is why I have so many sets going. I have decided to downsize my collection.

1) Sell off all sets not interested in any more.

2) Sell off all duplicates. I have tons of Kennedy's bought in mint bags. I am selling some of these on Ebay but still have way too many.

3) Focus on my 1870 proof and mint sets

4) Focus on US Type Set

5) Build a Lincoln set from spare change

6) Restrain myself from going to Heritage online

Of course right not my budget for 2009 is already gone so I will have to focus on 1 & 2 before I can focus on 3-5.

I forgot to mention ...

(6) When trimming my collection, continue upgrading my inventory list, separating things into marked sets instead of just "Cents," "Nickels," "Bullion," etc. Also do some re-organization of the physical collection.

and (7) Continue to photograph my "unique" coins, especially the commemoratives, bullion, and Type set (as opposed to the 100s in the year sets) and put them on my coin website.

You guys are thinking way too much.

My goal in 08 was to get as close to the BHNC membership requirement of 100 CBH pairings as possible. Mission accomplished and I am now waiting for membership approval. :grin:

09: Find as many nice CBH pairings that I need as possible and buy them. :popcorn:

Never make things more complicated than they need to be. :hi:

2009 Numismatic Goals

My goals may be greek to some, unless you're up on your British and world stuff. I hope to add the following, or at least some of the following, to my collection this year:

1. convince Victor (EZ-E) that the '02 Crown that I sold him, is no longer "needed" in his collection, and to sell it back to me :grin: (btw, the naked warrior on the steed's back is St. George, not Michael) ;)

2. complete my Double Florin collection, with only 'top pop' gems (two left).

3. 1821 Secundo Crown, NGC MS64 or higher

4. add at least 4 more 'old head' Victorian half-crowns in MS63 and above, and at least two Jubilee bust half-crowns in MS64 and above.

5. a gem 1888 Crown

6. another proof 1887 or 1893 Crown

7. a few more gem French 5 Francs, with the 'Hercules' obverse (middle to late 19th century)

2009 Numismatic Goals

1. convince Victor (EZ-E) that the '02 Crown that I sold him, is no longer "needed" in his collection, and to sell it back to me :grin: (btw, the naked warrior on the steed's back is St. George, not Michael) ;)

lollollol

Why is ole St. George important to the Brits?

2009 Numismatic Goals

lollollol

Why is ole St. George important to the Brits?

'cause thats the way Pistrucci wanted it! ;)

link

Interesting history. Thanks. And he used St. George because he is the patron saint of England, I read.

Traditionally, the sword with which St. George slew the dragon was called Ascalon, a name recalling the city of Ashkelon, Israel.

Ashkelon is being bombarded with rockets from the Muslims in the Gaza Strip right now. Kind of sux to be them, I imagine. :sorry:

Goals

1. To put Hurricane Ike (that wiped me out) behind me.

2. Get back to collecting, learning more about, and discussing US coins, that I love so much.

I live in the Houston area and was spared mostly by Hurricane Ike. Carl I feel your pain. So no hurricanes in 2009. My family to enjoy great health. Retire to my farm outside of Brenham. Oh, and complete my NGC Registry Classic Head Half Cent Collection.

My goal is to sell lots more stuff, and get at least 2 ultra high reliefs - both slabbed 70, one early release.

Also to get that PF70 Elizabeth Monroe, all the new coins for that set as they come, and stock up on Lincoln silver commem proofs and anything else nice that comes out.

Finally, I will be keeping an eye out for Modern Commem proof 70's for my set, which I need a lot for.

Last years thread is here - http://boards.collectors-society.com/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Number=2119638#Post2119638

My goals are to finish 2008 goals as copied from last year's post with updates as noted below.

"I have two goals. The first is to sell some of the coins that have been in rolls for years taking up space and capital.

The second is finish the following sets that were started many moons ago:

1. Finished - Lincoln wheats in F/EF need 21,42S(MSBN),47S(MSBN);

2. Finished basically - Buffalo in F/EF need 13DT2,15,18D8/7(hence the selling of some coins first)

3. Liberty 5c VG/F need 85,86,89 (unlikely but I will look)

4. Washington 25c EF/AU need 46D&S,54&S,55D,56D,58

5. Finished the set in EF/AU do not know why I wrote V/VF - Franklin V/VF need 48, 53, 55 (while I am looking I may finish the BU set 4 coins missing)

6. WLH F/VF/EF need 19 & 19D, 20D, 21 & 21D, 34D

7. Peace $ AU need 21, 27, 28

Upon completing my lofting goals I will attempt the other sets I have started: winged liberty 10c, Barber 10c & 25c, Indian 1c, Jefferson 5c, SLQ, Morgans, and Type set.

My ultimate goal is to have a complete circulated series sets of as many US coins as possible.

Good Hunting to all in the new year. "

All in all it was not a bad year, but I did sit out about six months from collecting. Happy New Year everyone.

Sorry to say I have no goals other than buy more of what I like and what catches my eye. All coins are fair game. Never pass on a killer coin, because it is not set worthy or would be a double. You never can have too many nice coins!