• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

The Third King George

14 posts in this topic

As some of you may know, I am working on a Great British shilling type set by monarch. Recently, I decided I might want to add major subtypes, such as the young, jubilee, and old heads of Queen Victoria. Along those same lines, the two major subtypes of King George III are the 1787 shilling and those after the Great Recoinage in 1816. He also issued the Northumberland shilling, which had a mintage of around 3000. I have had the 1816 shilling for a while, it was actually one of my first shillings. I want to upgrade it, because it has a pretty decent rim bump, but overall the coin is very pleasing. I saw the 1787 shilling on Ebay when I was on vacation for Thanksgiving, and it had terrible pictures. But I figured that it might be a pretty attractive coin, so I gave it a shot. Boy was I surprised when it showed up: it is gorgeous! Choice, dark, original, well struck, attractive, high grade, lightly circulated, extremely historical and very affordable. Can't beat that for a Christmas present!

So, comments welcome, and post your King George III items!

71396.jpg.2caef0505eebf383074a929951ebfabf.jpg

71397.jpg.2ede8c7e6362edc5226e403c00f13dd5.jpg

71398.jpg.ec62365e15fc25b820cbac485cef78fe.jpg

71399.jpg.a8cad54ff4adaf4320a7c617e537b0b0.jpg

Here's some different looks for George III (farthing, halfpenny, penny of 1806).

Merged1806-1.jpg

the top is just wow. the bottom one almost has a marble bust look to it. (thumbs u

Thanks pendragon! I was very pleased to find it raw at a local show last year! Not to repeat myself, but this coin is amazing...

pencedimeb.jpg

For the record, that is an UNC 1942 Mercury dime on top, and my 1776 1 Pence is underneath. It is truly remarkable that a paper thin coin like this has suvived in such condition.

I saw the 1787 shilling on Ebay when I was on vacation for Thanksgiving, and it had terrible pictures. But I figured that it might be a pretty attractive coin, so I gave it a shot. Boy was I surprised when it showed up: it is gorgeous! Choice, dark, original, well struck, attractive, high grade, lightly circulated, extremely historical and very affordable.

That 1787 is really something special! It has a real "feel" to it. Excellent strike and accumulated "age luster". :) Along with an unusually beautiful design very much different from those not too far away form it date-wise. This is the kind of coin I cannot look at for too long for fear of trying to collect them!

Cheers .. not been to well .. of late .. geting back on track .. and doing some bottle digging an shooting .. just havent had the time to do every thing .. you know what its like ..!!