• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

PCGS Grading Process Video

16 posts in this topic

Very Interesting!! For the most part, it was like I imagined. However, I thought they would wear gloves while handling the coins... oh well.

I agree here that I am very surprised that gloves aren't used during the grading process when handling these coins!!

Having survived a master's degree in archiving and artifact preservation techniques, I can tell you that, while it is best not to touch coins and allow hand oils to affect the metal, it is very easy to drop a coin or other artifact while wearing cloves becuase they make you rather clumbsy, and this is the reason many archivists choose to go without them. That doesn't make it right, however. I do remember NGC giving this saem reason for why they don't use gloves, by the way!

I'm not surprised why they don't dish out a lot of PF & MS70's. They probably turn into 69's by the time they're done throwing the coins around. lol

Wow, "great" videos. So cracking has made it to You Tube. What WAS that black hand held machine held thing that zipped around the 4 sides of the slab (ANACS I think). As for me, I still haven't worked up the courage to try cracking...but I have a few mongrel slabs that are probably quaking in their boots, knowing that their time "pre-surgery" is becoming shorter each day.

Regarding gloves, (and why the PCGS guys don't wear them) maybe this is wrong and I am committing an ultimate sin, but with my Unc's and Proof foreign coins, I put on the white medical latex gloves when handling the coins. I have a million of them here ( gloves, not coins!) because I had to wear them when doing anything "germy" for the first year or so after my transplant. Someone please tell me that in years ahead, my coins won't die of latex poisoning!! I can just see it now...instead of PVC damage, my coins will be BB'ed because of LGC (Latex Glove Contamination). Well at least I use the powder free ones. Coins slipping is not an issue, but something about seeing a hand in those gloves reminds me of the annual "event" at my primary care physician's office..except with coins there is no lubricant!! :roflmao:

OK, RI AL...get your mind out of the gutter...

Interesting, but they don't talk about where they add fingerprints. And apparently quite a few mechanical errors manage to slip through the cracks (proportionately speaking).

i use these cause it helps hold coin. the coton cloves slip and slide. i also have a huge case from the tat parler so i need to use them up. i just wana make sure the latex is safe for coins since someone mentioned it.