• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Sorry, but a rant is called for.

32 posts in this topic

Sorry, gang, but I feel a rant is needed here to vent. rantrant

I just had an auction cancelled with bids on Ebay because I was creative and only put the NGC label above the coin photos in order to save a picture fee as follows;'

You recently listed the following auction-style listing:

230316958589 - 1881 S MORGAN DOLLAR MS63PL BEAUTIFUL CAMEO DEEP FIELDS

The auction-style listing was removed because it violated the eBay Currency and Stamps policy. We notified members who placed bids on the item that the listing has been canceled.

Sellers may only list a coin as "certified," if it has been certified by one of the following authorized grading companies:

- Numismatic Guaranty Corporation (NGC)

- Numismatic Conservation Services (NCS)

- Professional Coin Grading Service (PCGS)

- Independent Coin Grading (ICG)

- ANACS

In addition, listings for certified coins:

- Must be assigned the appropriate grading attributes in the Item Specifics, including "Grading Company," "Grade" and "Serial Number"

- Include an image of the coin in its graded holder, both front and back

Why in the world can't they give a warning and allow you to repair whatever is wrong instead of making you as a seller appear crooked to the current bidders.

You also cannot even contact the bidders to explain the issue to keep your reputation intact.

I apologize, but this really irked me. I have several coins on Ebay and this was the only one in jeopardy(I hope).

Thanks for listening. For what it is worth(0) I left a scathing letter in reply to their email.

Jim

~Why in the world can't they give a warning and allow you to repair whatever is wrong instead of making you as a seller appear crooked to the current bidders.~

Because they don't want to have to take the time to notify you and then go back to see if you repaired the problem or just let it ride...better to just nuke it when it's reported or discovered.

Heck Jim, Just re-list the item with a pic of the slab. The first one's free. I'm sure if anyone is following any of your other auctions, they will see it back up and then if questions arise with the buyers, you can explain what happened.

More than likely someone reported your auction to Ebay for violating the rules. Not sure why people do this but they do.

My personal theory is that some people are simply jerks. Maybe they just didn't get lucky last night.

More than likely someone reported your auction to Ebay for violating the rules. Not sure why people do this but they do.

My personal theory is that some people are simply jerks. Maybe they just didn't get lucky last night.

And some people probably do it because they (correctly or incorrectly) suspect a scam.

And some people probably do it because they (correctly or incorrectly) suspect a scam.

You might be right Mark. Even so, if they're so concerned (and hopefully fair minded) why wouldn't they ask the seller first? Most of the sellers I've dealt with are willing to provide additional pictures if a potential buyer wants them.

You might be right Mark. Even so, if they're so concerned (and hopefully fair minded) why wouldn't they ask the seller first? Most of the sellers I've dealt with are willing to provide additional pictures if a potential buyer wants them.

Because most people would rather jump to a conclusion than rather deal with things logically.

Because most people would rather jump to a conclusion than rather deal with things logically.

Well, some people, if not most. ;) However, if they suspect a scam, they might feel that contacting the suspected scammer might not be the best way to get a truthful answer.

this brings up what just happened on my site in my mind. i was notified that there was a questionable item on my site. i tried sending question and waited 3+ days for reply. didnt get one so i decided i will try a direct email and got a failure deamon. so i called the phone number givin to me by them on sign up. the number was a farce so i took them off site.

i did foot work. i found out what i needed and i acted.

they can pay the people to find these "ify" items but they cant do foot work. im with yall that say they should warn. cause it cost us money to list it.

I take the chance of mine being cancelled all the time .. Front of the coin with two circular insets ... HOWEVER I always put the serial number in the designated area,I do not know if that makes a difference. I know a lot of sellers do not OR

I am just lucky or you have an enemy ;)

Sorry it happened

Or, how about simply showing the front and back of the slab (outside of Moderns) like eBay harps on you to do and be done with it?

Seems like such a simple rule yet it is violated often.

If you drive through a red light camera and the intersection is red you're likely to get a ticket.

Blaming the camera for you doing so seems childish.

Is Ebay this pro-active when obvious counterfeit coins are offered? I don’t bother to look over there because I would much rather find my coins at shows. But from the limited views I’ve had, I’ve found that counterfeits still crop up there and the policing is spotty.

Or, how about simply showing the front and back of the slab (outside of Moderns) like eBay harps on you to do and be done with it?

If you drive through a red light camera and the intersection is red you're likely to get a ticket.

Dang Pat, do you work for Ebay? This is not the first post that I have seen you degrade a person for complaining about an issue with Ebay.

Dang Pat, do you work for Ebay? This is not the first post that I have seen you degrade a person for complaining about an issue with Ebay.

I think Pat's post was quite level headed and fair minded. The Ebay rules appear to be very clear on this issue. And like them or not, following them makes more sense than ignoring them and then complaining if/when Ebay enforces them.

Is Ebay this pro-active when obvious counterfeit coins are offered?
No, but in their defense, it's far easier and quicker for them to understand and enforce their rules about image requirements for listings than it is for them to determine if a coin is actually counterfeit or not.

I think Pat's post was quite level headed and fair minded. The Ebay rules appear to be very clear on this issue. And like them or not, following them makes more sense than ignoring them and then complaining if/when Ebay enforces them.

Is Ebay this pro-active when obvious counterfeit coins are offered?
No, but in their defense, it's far easier and quicker for them to understand and enforce their rules about image requirements for listings than it is for them to determine if a coin is actually counterfeit or not.

I agree with you mark. My post was just a little sarcasm and not rudely intended for Pat. I like Pat and he's a great guy. My statement is mostly regarding why people can't try to post a little more supportive, as in giving ideas or advice than to just ridicule the person.

I actually do it to purposely NOT to follow the rules. I get like that sometime :)

The front of the coin is sufficient with the serial number showing. The rear of the coin is UN-IMPORTANT for validity's sake.

Yes you need a picture of the reverse BUT it does not have to be the complete slab.

They way I do it, actually is more work, it is also more detailed than a long distance shot of the WHOLE rear of the slab.

EBay is a publically traded corporation with approximately 13,000 employees. They have stockholders, a board of directors, a legal department, a code of ethics and code of employee conduct. In my view this qualifies them as a first class bureaucracy. Bureaucrats throughout the history of business have always played the game of corporate politics in an effort to move up within the organization and cover their rear ends and shift blame when things go wrong. They live in fear of losing their jobs and no bureaucrat has ever been fired for strictly adhering to the rules. The customer (the seller on EBay) is immaterial and means nothing to them. Notifying a seller that he is not in compliance with policy and giving a chance to rectify the situation puts the bureaucrats at risk and they simply will not do it.

The best way to avoid problems in the future is to comply with EBay’s rules to the letter. It may cost a few extra bucks to do so, but you will avoid a lot of headaches.

I know this thread is half in jest, but honestly, it is a poor workman who blames his tools.

eBay is simply a tool to sell.

It's plain what they require of you. Provide it or move on.

I know this thread is half in jest, but honestly, it is a poor workman who blames his tools.

eBay is simply a tool to sell.

It's plain what they require of you. Provide it or move on.

OR NOT and beware the "WRATH OF E-GOD"

Every time I see a post about eBay, I count my lucky stars that I am THROUGH with their garbage. I have not missed eBay by even the slightest amount. Honestly, I don't even think about that venue anymore, and there was a time when I was one of their biggest supporters!

I really hope that company goes under. A certain level of greed made it a great company at one time, but the greed got excessive.

Jes, While I'm sorry to hear you are unhappy, IMO, no rant is called for (other than at yourself for not clearly understanding eBay rules). Respectfully...Mike (who suspects his rant threshold is a bit higher, I suppose)

You are dealing with an animal called a corporation. It is infested with little worker ants. It is like the symbiotic relationship between a host and its plethoria of parasites.

The little ants are unaware of you, numismatics, or what your customers may think of you. And probably could care less. Their focus is on their precious wonderful careers - like cars tailgaiting each other at 75 mph to get the extra edge on a highway that almost always eventually abruptly ends for them - company bankruptcy, downsizing, age discrimination, eventual jerk boss that will end their job, etc. they are like stampeding sheep oblivious of the cliff they are racing to plunge over. They will even work 60+ hours at a 40 hr pay rate....and ostracize those who don't want to work over 40 unless they are paid for it. I feel sorry for them, especially if we go into a depression hits and the realization finally sinks in they spent their time for.....nothing. Poor little ants.

In the USA Corporations are allowed to have tremendous power over individuals. Even to the extent your constitutional rights are daily violated. Not many seem to really question this and whats worse our government wants to give them more money when they have cheated, lied to us, and failed us - the 2008 Bailout a case in point.

Your auction probably got deleted because someone reported it to EBAY.

The Ebay drones (Ebay employees) do not find auctions with rule violations on their own.

They depend on the Ebay members (who do not work for Ebay) to find and report auctions that have violations.

These members (AKA the "EBAY police") find joy in reporting violating auctions to EBAY. Even a small or minor infraction, that the seller may have overlooked, and really does not hurt anybody, will be reported. In other walks of life, these folks are known as "rats".

The Ebay drones (Ebay employees) do not find auctions with rule violations on their own.

They depend on the Ebay members (who do not work for Ebay) to find and report auctions that have violations.

These members (AKA the "EBAY police") find joy in reporting violating auctions to EBAY. Even a small or minor infraction, that the seller may have overlooked, and really does not hurt anybody, will be reported. In other walks of life, these folks are known as "rats".

I have seen you post on this subject a number of times. Do you consider everyone who reports on any violation a "rat", or does it depend upon the infraction being reported?

I have seen you post on this subject a number of times. Do you consider everyone who reports on any violation a "rat", or does it depend upon the infraction being reported?

If the coin is counterfeit, altered or it is a scam auction, then I applaud it being reported.

But to rat out an auction for trivial infractions is low.