• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

1788 mass cent

13 posts in this topic

about 4 years ago i purchased a 1788 mass cent from a coin dealer in boston. right after the purchase i sent it in to NGC and in 45 days it comes back in a body bag "corrosion" hard to really see,but what do i know i collect comics and sport cards mainly. i return to the dealer with my concern and he was quick to agree to exchange or refund, what ever would please me. i walked out the door with a gold indian $5 piece. i dont remember the year now, but i took it home amd looked on ebay there was one there with a buy it now for around $500. back i go to the dealer and back out the door with my mass cent and i forgot to say he told me it was XF. so here i am about 4 1/2 years later wondering would i benefit to send this coin in to NCS? i did post on ebay one time and with a reserve and bids only went up to $368. why is the value seem to be going down and not up.

71080.jpg.139c7295828ab0eba0ac8282f6afbfa3.jpg

71081.jpg.b9ca3296729f5d2279b5bb3f3ab153e0.jpg

If those are the images you used on ebay then most bidders would have been reluctant to bid because the piece might have either been counterfeit or might have had surface problems. It appears that NGC gave it a thumbs up in terms of being genuine, but once a coin has corroded there is nothing that can be done to reverse the corrosion. Areas of active corrosion may be neutralized or removed, but the underlying damage is there to stay and this is where NCS might help.

my scanner stinks compared to some of the wonderful enarged images i have seen on ebay. i agree with you on why the lack of bidding as well. i know with comic books, restored books whlie still sellable fetch 1/2 the price as original. the corrosion is very light, would ncs do like a dentist and remove and fill and what will the outcome be with ngc? i seriously need some direction here. thanks

NCS can't do much for you with a corroded copper coin. Having said that light corrosion is with mildly granular surfaces is not the worst thing that can happen to a 200+ year old coin. It all depends upon the variety. At with large cents and half cents some of the finest known examples some of the rare dies are in very poor shape. Yet they bring strong prices. There are a couple of rare Massachusetts cents, but there not that many people who appreciate them so it’s sort of a wash.

You should be happy that the dealer has had so much patience with you. He let you go though this transaction twice and has not seemed to make any money except from the initial sale.

scanner is a cannon m 160 and the scan was 150 dpi i see i can increase that higher, but i dont see ppi. if i increase to 1200 dpi for a better image i cant upload the file because of size. that with ebay as well. i may need auctiva or something like that

i think this particular coin is not only monster historical

but has great eye appeal

and has much character and again a really eye appealling coin

Your situation is exactly why I strongly urge against certification of such classic colonial coins. It is hardly shocking that a 220 year old coin might have corrosion.

Actually, I find that to be a very nice example of a Mass. cent. They are seldom struck that well, if I am interpreting your images correctly.