• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

My Token - Boston Tercentenary 1930 - Question

8 posts in this topic

I found a listing on the net with information on this token and was wondering what the "POND" meant ...

Boston Tercentenary Committee

Pond 27

White Metal, 28 mm

Robbins Co.

About 2000 struck

Also to verify that this is a HK-675

71053.jpg.f3dc4e1e0a729c6a34ca4bdb4b3a8ea1.jpg

WoW! I'm an avid SCD collector and I've never seen this one before. Love the luster and the shilling design!!

Its my Only one :) cause of the topic of course

I don’t know that this is the 100% correct, but I think my guess has a 95% chance of being right. I think that a well known Boston area numismatist, Shepard Pond, may have done a booklet or an article on these pieces (and perhaps others pieces) and given them variety numbers. Pond was New England heavyweight in the New England coin world in the 1930s, ‘40s and early ‘50s.

I’ve got several of these pieces somewhere in my boxes. They must not have been worth much, at least a few years ago, because a local club gave me a group of six of them for speaking at one of their meetings. I don’t know if the one you have in among ones I have.

This is most complete one I have. It has the medalet, the original box of issue and the piece of paper that is inside the box. The event commemorated was dowry Massachusetts mint master, John Hull, paid to Judge Samuel Sewell when Hull’s daughter, Hanna, married the judge. Hanna sat on one pan of a big scale, and Hull added Pine Tree Shillings to the opposite pan until the two sides were equal.

The dowry came to 500 pounds, which comes to 10,000 shillings. At 3 penny weight per shilling the math works out to the conclusion that Hanna, who was 18 years old, weighed 125 pounds, troy.

And yes, John Hull was one of the first truly wealthy men in America.

And one more little tidbit of information: Judge Samuel Sewell was one of the three judges who presided over the Salem Witch Trials.

HannaHullO.jpgHannaHullR.jpg

HannaHullBox.jpg

Shepard Pond indeed.

http://www.coinpeople.com/index.php?showtopic=19477&st=0

The Massachusetts Bay Tercentenary was celebrated in 1930 across the state with a variety of exonumia. The organizers hoped for a commemorative half dollar, but I suspect the Pilgrim half issued ten years earlier made that goal a long shot. At the end of 1930, Shepard Pond collected the various medals and tokens issued over the year to form a representative collection viewed as the state commission closed its books. Pond went on to publish a list of the items in the June 1931 Numismatist followed by updates over the next two years. The ANA brought the various articles together into a reprint. I am using Pond as my guide for collecting the items, although I am ruling out some athletic badges and an encased cent. I will post the items here as I build the collection.

Cyrus Dallin made models for a 1930 commemorative half - almost duplicates of the 1920 Pilgrim - but Congress did not pass the legislation. I believe Pond tried to get Dallin to design some cheap medals for free and Dallin told Pond where to jump.