• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

I have an ebay question. Can anyone help?

13 posts in this topic

I have some non-numismatics items for sale on ebay. I had someone email me saying they were a potential buyer and would like to offer so much money for the item and that I could end the auction early. They said they would put in the bid and then I could end the auction with a "Sell to Highest bidder". I don't want to jeopardize my acct. and emailed them telling them I couldn't do that. Did this sound like a scam or would I have been able to do this if I had wanted to??

This was the message:

Hello, there! As one of the potential bidders on this auction, we were wondering if you would be willing to end it early --- for $50 + shipping? This could be done in two steps: 1. Our entering the above high bid, and then… 2. You immediately ending it by choosing the (Sell to high bidder) option that sellers have. That way we would still be working within the eBay system with its added safety of the feedback system, etc. If you're not sure how to do this, we would be happy to send you some easy-to-follow directions.

Thiswas my response:

I'm sorry but I have never done this before on my auctions and feel that it may jeopardize my acct.. I apologize, but the proper steps for bidding will need to be followed if interested in my auction. thank you!

Its basically a buy it now proposition - There is nothing to hold him to his word though. He could bid 50 but would only top the highest bidder at that time. If you were to end the auction at that time EBAY rules would protect HIM at what ever high price it was when you closed it.

Say okay - Have him bid - as high bidder - tell him to send the $50 plus shipping to your paypal account. THEN close the auction with him as high bidder.

Its basically a buy it now proposition - There is nothing to hold him to his word though. He could bid 50 but would only top the highest bidder at that time. If you were to end the auction at that time EBAY rules would protect HIM at what ever high price it was when you closed it.

Say okay - Have him bid - as high bidder - tell him to send the $50 plus shipping to your paypal account. THEN close the auction with him as high bidder.

I didn't think about this Mike. If I closed the auction immediately then they would only be responsible for the 9.99 starting bid right?

Hi, Bobby. Maybe he's legit or maybe he's trying to rip the item. I put a Polish coin up on ebay for a friend. World values listed it at around $75. I mentioned this in the description and someone immediately offered my the same if I would end the auction early. I declined. The coin brought $327. Glad that I didn't do it.

Hi, Bobby. Maybe he's legit or maybe he's trying to rip the item. I put a Polish coin up on ebay for a friend. World values listed it at around $75. I mentioned this in the description and someone immediately offered my the same if I would end the auction early. I declined. The coin brought $327. Glad that I didn't do it.

I hear ya Vic. This is just for my wife's nintendo and I've been watching some auctions and seen some go from $40-90. It's really not a concern of money for it anyway, so I think I will just let it ride.

I have had the same thing happen with my Xbox, some computer games and an old chandelier. I politely refused the offers and asked the people to bid on the items and that they might get them at a lower price. I thought it would be the fair thing to do for all the bidders involved.

I actually sold the Xbox and chandelier for more money then was offered but the computer games went for less.

You know what's strange is I check my item today and and the high bidder sent me an email with the same request with the same exact wording as the other email. This was from two different potential buyers. Coincidence on wording? Spam?

shill account? hoping you wont notice

Don't know Ant. The last email looks to have come from the present highest bidder. Just strange that the wording for both emails were exactly the same! Oh well! I refused them also. I'm just gonna let the thing ride.

I simply ignore messages like that. The guy had a lot of gall.

Actually Jake I had 3 email like that from different people. I responded and politely refused.