• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Aluminum coins

2 posts in this topic

I asked this question in the conservation forum (before I saw this one!). I have some interesting modern (1940s-1960s) aluminum coins. A few have that haze/oxidation that can occur on the aluminums (even still in the mint packaging). Is this something that can be conserved? Sorry I don't have pictures, though I could link to a similar example on ebay if needed.

Thank you,

Cathy

The answer your question would depend on whether the problem is haze or oxidation. Haze on an aluminum coin we should be able to remove. Oxidation, however, is something that we would likely not be able to remove. We could take steps to reduce the corrosion on an aluminum coin and prevent it from becoming worse, but for actually removing evidence of it completely may not be possible. Every coin is different. If you have several coins you are considering for NCS conservation, I would recommend starting with a few coins representative of the problems all of your coins face and see how these turn out.

Chris, NCS