• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Question on Conder tokens

1 post in this topic

In the write-up for one of the tokens I received for Christmas Jerry Bobbe states "This one features an extremely light planchet cutting outline on the obverse, arcing up from 5:30 through the bricks to the "E" in Success at 9:00, which is of course exactly the shape of another flan. A somewhat frequently seen phenomenon in the eighteenth century token series, taking place when the coiner attempted to get a few more planchets out of a copper strip by recutting the original outlines of the flans closer together."

You can faintly see the line below

SomersetshireBristolDH98LG.jpg

Today, while looking though the lots in the next DNW token sale I see the following token with what appears to be the same type of line.

MiddlesexPidcockDH414Obv.jpgMiddlesexPidcockDH414Rev.jpg

I'm wondering just how frequent such a marking might be and if anyone else has such a token. Or is Jerry spinning a tale? ;)