• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Gold at melt plus small %...am I dreaming

8 posts in this topic

I guess it's impossible these days to find 1 oz gold coins (Maple leaf, Philharmonic, Krugerrand and such) without paying a huge price over melt. I haven't checked out silver, but I suspect it is the same. Anyone out there know a precious metals dealer that works on a small percentage?

well the only place i get spot or close to, is my buddies pawn shop. and if my butt wasnt stupid and not change out rims i would be out picking up some gold at this moment. low profile tires dont work on snow deaper than 3inches :P

I guess it's impossible these days to find 1 oz gold coins (Maple leaf, Philharmonic, Krugerrand and such) without paying a huge price over melt. I haven't checked out silver, but I suspect it is the same. Anyone out there know a precious metals dealer that works on a small percentage?

I deal in coins and bullion daily. The biggest problem with 1 oz gold coins is their availability. Actually, they are available, if you're willing to pay the price. I'd be buying to resell and I haven't seen any at prices that will allow me to make any money. The Canadian Maples, US eagles or buffaloes, or Chinese Pandas are selling for a big premium over spot. I think you'd be very fortunate if you could buy some at 5%-10% over spot.

Silver is very similar, except the percentage over spot is much more extreme. One ounce pieces can sell for 25% to 100% (and more) above the spot price. The metals are available quite readily and close to spot if you want to have a certificate that shows you own the stuff. Buying physical is the way to go, but there are larger costs involved when trying to get it.

Andy 2c

Thanks for the information, Andy. I have found a couple of big shot metals dealers that are selling for about 10% over spot. I'm thinking that I should pick up a few...but I think I'll wait for the next dip. The U.S. stuff seems to have the highest price above spot, with the Krugerrand being the least expensive, but only by a few dollars.

Al: I bought some MS George VI Sovereigns from Modern Coin Mart. They seem to have the lowest markup on some bullion coins. I got the Sovereigns for a few bucks over melt.

Yeah, the unpure gold should be selling for very close to spot. .999 or .9999 will sell at a larger premium. I'd check your local coin shop and see what they've got in stock. If it's anything like here, there'll be little to choose from. 2c

Andy