• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Question about international money order

6 posts in this topic

If you recieve MO from outside U.S, can you casher it without showing ID?

I sent MO about 3weeks ago to West coast from Japan and it hasn't arrived yet.

I'm getting worried about the loss/theft.

I asked the local post officer and he said he's not sure if you have to show ID to casher money order in the States.

If you don't need to show it, then I have to worry about it more seriously hm

A few years ago, I had a couple of international money orders "in US dollars" sent to me. My bank deposited the money orders without question. However, I was told that if the money order were in Japanese Yen, it would have to go to collection, which would have made it impossible to cash outright. I don't believe international money orders can be cashed without a bank account.

TRUTH

I received a money order from Saudi Arabia drawn on a U.S. bank...this was about 6 years ago when I was working for a small coin auction house. My bank took it, but wouldn't credit the payment until it cleared, which took about a week.

At least with a money order, you are protected against loss or theft. I assume that you have a copy?

RI AL

An international money order is very similar in many aspects to a regular money order except that it can be used to make payments abroad. With it, a buyer can easily pay a seller for goods or services if he or she resides in another country. International money orders are often issued by a buyer's bank and bought in the currency that the seller accepts. International money orders are thought to be safer than sending currency through the post because there are various forms of identification required to cash an international money order, often including a signature and a form of photo identification.

When purchasing an international money order, it is important to ensure that the specific type of money order is acceptable in the destination country. Several countries are very strict that the money order be on pink and yellow paper and have the words "international postal money order." In particular, the Japan Post (one of the largest banking institutions in the world) requires these features. Most other countries have taken this as a standard when there is any doubt of a document's authenticity.

I don't believe international money orders can be cashed without a bank account.

I sent money order in US dollars, but if that's true in the States, then I think I'm somehow protected.

I won't be able to enjoy the upcoming FUN show without that money.