• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

J.T. Stanton Signature Slabs...What's the story?

8 posts in this topic

About a year before PCI went under, in order to ry and improve their reputation in the market, PCI hired J T Stanton as their new President. one of the programs that he instituted was a return of the Signature Series slabs. The idea was to have a stable of experts in many different series (J T did Cherry Picker varieties). Coins submitted for the Signature Series would be sent to the expert for their opinion and any die variety attribution. They would then sign the slab label and return he coin and label for encapsulation. (This was in contrast to their original Signature Series slabs where PCI had the labels pre-signed. They would just send the coin, get it back, combine it with a pre-signed label and slab it. They got in trouble back then when they decided to speed up the process and not bother to send the coins out but just do the work in house and use the already signed labels. Stupid move because when the experts found out what they were doing the took out large ads in the coin magazines announcing that they n longer had any connection with PCI.)

This time it seemed to be working better, but with the death of the owner, the eventual firing of J T Stanton as President, and the financial problems that PCI was having they stopped paying their experts for their services. A few months later PCI folded.

This second series of Signature Series slabs comes in three different varieties with yellow, blue, and brown labels. I determined what order they were issued in but I don't have that data in front of me.

JT Stanton knows his stuff. If he says it is a certain variety, it probably is.

You can take the attributions to the bank, but the grading on these is very erratic. Some are slightly undergraded, some are horribly overgraded. I recently cataloged about a dozen or so such slabs.

Thanks for the info. I just bought a 1884 O Vam 10 attributed and graded by JT. I should get it by this weekend, but if I can get a pic of it before then, I will post it.

The seller stated that the slab was hand signed by JT, so it should be of the latter collection.

It is toned with some light green/blue shading around some of the rim and is graded a 63. Good looking coin and it sounds like JT is well respected.

I would say that JT Stanton is on my list as a straight shooter , and if he puts his name on something , then that is what it is . As far as respectable in the coin hobby , I have him at the top of my list along with other noted coin hobby / industry leaders as well .

I wish I had a fifth of his knowledge on different coin series , then I could write a book just on that.

I just got her in the mail today and I have posted some pics. It really looks like a nice coin. Toned and plenty of luster. It appears to be the hand-signed slab, and if it is, this guy sure knows how to pick the nice ones.

I was going to try and cross, but I think I will just keep her in that slab.

100_4380.jpg

100_4381.jpg

6-2store1884of11f.jpg

6-2store1884of11b.jpg