• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Question on NGC Grading Description

3 posts in this topic

I recently received back a Medal that i had submitted to NGC through my local coin dealer and the description of the item was listed as follows:

"1744 G.Brit MI-584,224 Brass

Action Off Toulon 38mm

Medal VF 30"

The Certification Number for this item is 1896468-001

I'm not that familiar with how Medals are graded, but i was curious if anyone here knows what the "MI-584,224" represents.

I've actually had this medal since i was about 12 years old and i only recently found out what it was and it's quite a beautiful piece of history'.

I also have it encased in the new NGC holders where you can see the coin rim as well as the obverse and reverse sides.

Thanks for any help that you can provide if possible.

Great Britain, BRITISH COMMEMORATIVE MEDALS, England, George II (1727 1760), French and Spanish Fleets defeated off Toulon 1744, Brass Medal, a human body hanging from a gibbet, the aftermath of a naval action beyond, rev troops drawn up before a fortified town on the coast, towards which ships approach, 38mm (MI 584/224; MH 342). About very fine, scarce. A Franco-Spanish fleet sailed from Toulon to attack an English fleet commanded by Matthews and Lestock. The enemy was put to flight, but pursuit was abandoned due to the enmity between the English commanders. As a result, both commanders were impeached; Lestock was acquitted, but Matthews was dismissed. There are the letters A B C D E F G H on each side of this medal by different parts of the design, and it is thought a printed pamphlet accompanied the issue of the medal, in which these various aspects were identified. Estimate - 80-120

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Certification # 1896468-001

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Date / Info 1744 G.BRIT MI-584 224 ACTION OFF TOULON

Denomination BRASS

Grade MS 30

Pedigree 38mm

Strike

No Grade Comment MEDAL

Population See NGC poplookup

NumisMedia Value No Price