• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Another 56 new quarter designs?

12 posts in this topic

The Numismaster website has posted an article on a new quarter program that will feature National parks or sites managed by the Park Service. Some 56 new designs are projected along with a five ounce silver bullion coin to complement each new quarter design. Collectors from circulation have reason to rejoice as do those who like modern Mint products. From a numismatic point of view I cannot see these coins ever becoming scarce or rare due to the large number required for circulating coins. Congress must see this as a profitable venture. A final point of the article is the fact that when this program ends the Washington quarter must feature a depiction of the General crossing the Delaware River prior to the attack on Trenton, NJ. That part of the legislation I like. Personally another 56-112 modern coins does not thrill me. How about you?

Link to the Numismaster article

The Numismaster website has posted an article on a new quarter program that will feature National parks or sites managed by the Park Service. Some 56 new designs are projected along with a five ounce silver bullion coin to complement each new quarter design. Collectors from circulation have reason to rejoice as do those who like modern Mint products. From a numismatic point of view I cannot see these coins ever becoming scarce or rare due to the large number required for circulating coins. Congress must see this as a profitable venture.

I ranted about this program here when Rep. Michael Castle (R-DE) introduced the bill in the House. As part of Rep. Castle's grand announcement for this bill he said, "The U.S. Mint estimates that the state quarter program will make more than $6.2 billion in revenue, $3.7 billion more than regular quarters alone." Profit from the seigniorage was the motive.

The bill passed the Senate by unanimous consent, meaning that it was dumped in the "clean up" pile of non-objectionable stuff and the leaders (Harry Reid and Mitch McConnell) went through each and just passed them without objection from others. The bill is sitting at the president's desk for his signature. While a veto is unlikely, I wish he would not sign it.

A final point of the article is the fact that when this program ends the Washington quarter must feature a depiction of the General crossing the Delaware River prior to the attack on Trenton, NJ.

So we are going to make the New Jersey state quarter the permanent quarter? I would have preferred they used the Laura Gardin Fraser design that the misogynist Andrew Mellon rejected.

That part of the legislation I like. Personally another 56-112 modern coins does not thrill me. How about you?

I think it's a stupid idea. If they want to change a coin, what about the dime. That coin has not been changed since 1946 and, IMHO, has the wrong Roosevelt. Numismatists should be in favor of honoring Teddy Roosevelt whose "pet crime" gave us some of the greatest coin designs in this country's history!

Scott :hi:

Some 56 new designs are projected along with a five ounce silver bullion coin to complement each new quarter design.

Leave it to the mint to take a good idea and ruin it with excess. The idea of a five ounce silver bullion coin for each quarter design is truly stupid. I won't buy a single one of these coins. I have no interest in those coins on any level except the melting pot. As for the quarter I'll keep buying Proof sets unless the sets grow to 50 coins a year and cost over a $100 a piece. The way things are going Washington is going to take us there before long.

I posted a rant about this originally 6 months ago (I beat you ALL!! :insane: ) here.

To re-iterate my comments:

1) Do we REALLY NEED another "state quarters" program? I mean, come on! :frustrated:

2) I'm glad that they're actually including DC and territories this time without additional legislation needed. That should save at least some aggravation down the road if this passes.

3) Sec. 102(t)(3)(F) ... Huzzah! No more coins where some states have outlines, some states have filled in maps, and some don't. Just all don't. Some consistency!

4) Sec. 102(t)(7)(F)(i) ... Oh geez ... this thing could last longer than 11 years 'cause the Secretary may decide to start all over again after the last "state" is recognized and go with a SECOND national site in each state. My shelf is going to fall apart from the weight of quarters!

5) Sec. 102(t)(8) ... okay, we FINALLY have an idea of what will happen at the end of the program (if it ever ends ... in 2030 or so?) - we go back to Washington on the obverse (that'll be pushing 100 years for when he got on) but a reverse of Washington crossing the Delaware ... so basically the New Jersey state quarter?

6) Sec. 201 ... Oh geez (again) ... 5-oz silver bullion coins!? Of EACH "quarter?!" Granted, that could be pretty, and a nice alternative to the First Spouse gold, but ... but ... that's like an extra $500 I'd have to spend every year! :insane:

Some 56 new designs are projected along with a five ounce silver bullion coin to complement each new quarter design.

Leave it to the mint to take a good idea and ruin it with excess. The idea of a five ounce silver bullion coin for each quarter design is truly stupid. I won't buy a single one of these coins. I have no interest in those coins on any level except the melting pot. As for the quarter I'll keep buying Proof sets unless the sets grow to 50 coins a year and cost over a $100 a piece. The way things are going Washington is going to take us there before long.

Bill... the Mint does not do anything without legal approval. Rep. Michael Castle (R-DE) introduced the legislation and it passed both houses with little resistance. So if you want to blame someone, write your member of congress!

doh! How could I have forgotten the NJ state quarter design?

Thanks for bearing with me Scott and Astrostu. I wasn't on these boards much 6 months ago and my subscriptions to weekly coin news had lapsed. The article I cited was the first that I recall hearing about it.

As to the dime, I agree that it is due for a change but may take another decade before it occurs.

I am fine with a new series on the quarter reverse because:

1. I completed my state quarter album this month when I found Hawaii in change..

2. My entire state quarter set has come from pocket change..it was fun..

3. Pocket change collecting takes me back to my numismatic roots...

4. If it continues to increase interest in the hobby, bring in new collectors, and trickle down by creating more collectors and higher values for my holdings?...works for me !!..I won't be buying any of them, just like I don't buy prezzies, first ladies, westward journey or annual commems...I won't be buying the new Lincolns or the new Sacs either...but if a few hundred or thousand new collectors join the hobby...that would be great...

PS: I think Reagan would be great for the Half Dollar, the Kennedy is a dull design that has bored us long enough...but as much as I admired Reagan, I'd be happy with no more dead president coinage....Mercs, Walkers, SLQ's...now those were designs !!

PS: I think Reagan would be great for the Half Dollar, the Kennedy is a dull design that has bored us long enough...but as much as I admired Reagan, I'd be happy with no more dead president coinage....Mercs, Walkers, SLQ's...now those were designs !!

I'll leave my commentary on the 40th president out of it after almost not being able to finish college when he changed the student LOAN program and almost disqualified me. And don't get me started on how the 1987 market crash put me out of a job!

We still need to honor Theodore Roosevelt on some form of US currency. If it wasn't for TR, we wouldn't have had the two Saint Gaudens designs, the Pratt half-eagle design, and the Brenner Lincoln Cent design that laid the ground work that lead to the SLQ, Merc dime, and Buffalo nickel! Oh yea... and don't forget the Walker Half!

The bill passed the Senate by unanimous consent, meaning that it was dumped in the "clean up" pile of non-objectionable stuff and the leaders (Harry Reid and Mitch McConnell) went through each and just passed them without objection from others.

Same way we got the territory quarters. Can't get the bill passed on its own merits, wait till the last mintute and then bundle it with a bunch of other junk you want passed plus some stuff you know the president wants so he won't veto it and slip it through without debate.

The bill passed the Senate by unanimous consent, meaning that it was dumped in the "clean up" pile of non-objectionable stuff and the leaders (Harry Reid and Mitch McConnell) went through each and just passed them without objection from others.

Same way we got the territory quarters. Can't get the bill passed on its own merits, wait till the last mintute and then bundle it with a bunch of other junk you want passed plus some stuff you know the president wants so he won't veto it and slip it through without debate.

The difference was that the new quarters was its own bill and the territory quarters and moving IGWT from the edge were inserted into budget bills.

There is a "rumor" that President Bush will not sign this bill. I was not told the reason why but it was suggested that this will not do much for his "legacy" and is not interested in dealing with issues like this. According to Article 1 Section 7 of the constitution, the president has 10 days (except Sunday) to sign a bill. If congress is in session, it becomes law without his signature. If congress is not in session, the bill is vetoed--also called a pocket veto.

Since the bill was sent to the president on December 12, the president has until December 23 to sign, veto, or ignore it. However, there is a pro forma session scheduled in the Senate on December 23. If the Senate goes into session on 12/23 and if Bush does not sign the bill, it will become law.