• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

GSA on circulated Coronet gold coins?

9 posts in this topic

I have just seen an 1896-S half-eagle in an NGC slab with "GSA" noted on the insert. Has anyone else seen these? Heritage shows a couple of similar coins sold over the past couple of years. First time I've seen one!

• Member: Seasoned Veteran

These were gold coins that NGC certified a few years ago from a GSA dispersal. Unlike the silver dollars, these coins did not come in any special holders from the GSA; they were raw until certified by NGC.

While they may have come from the GSA I don't believe they came from the government vaults like the silver dollars did. The GSA sells a lot of stuff the government acquires from many different sources These could be from drug confiscations, tax confiscations etc.

While they may have come from the GSA I don't believe they came from the government vaults like the silver dollars did. The GSA sells a lot of stuff the government acquires from many different sources These could be from drug confiscations, tax confiscations etc.

WOW! :o You learn something new every day. I was not aware of this GSA gold hoard.

And yes the government melted the gold coins it took in during the gold surrender order of 1933. :eek:

In other words, the GSA pedigree is pretty much worthless.

Some marketing scammers got the bright idea they could charge more money if they mislead people into thinking there was some kind of “GSA Hoard” of gold coins similar to the silver dollars sold by GSA. The con men picked up some gold coins sold at normal GSA auctions of confiscated property, the somehow convinced NGC there was legitimacy to this racket, and got them slabbed with the “GSA” designation. (I understand that NGC no longer does this.)

This gimmick pops up about every six months often accompanied by some nonsense story concocted for use on a corrupt website or two.