• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

How should I go about collecting coins.Several different or stick to one kind.

16 posts in this topic

I've only been collecting for about 3yrs, And the coins I've collected have been NGC PF69 commemorative coins. The complete state quarter set ungraded with everything that came from the mint.Also 2006-2007-2008 silver and clad quarter sets ungraded. Several Silver Eagle Proofs graded by NGC PF69 and several ungraded Silver Eagles.Plus all of the new presidential proof dollars ungraded. I really just went along with all of the hype about these certian coins and not knowing to much at that time about coins I went along with the masses. But on a limited budget I was wondering if it would be possible to buy early American coins with only spending about $100 dollars monthly on coins that would go up in value over time.Or should I find one certian coin and try and make a set from those coins?

One last question. How much does it cost to get a coin graded by NGC or PCGS and how do I go about getting it done. I really appreciate your help. Beck.

On a budget of $100 per month, you can put together an exceptionally attractive half-cent set. Even 18th century coins can be had for $100 (admittedly, not so attractive), and those dated 1800 through 1808 can be had in nice shape for just $100. Finally, you could save two month's budget and buy UNC later-date coins!

If you want to pursue something not-quite-so-early, try two-cents, three-cents and Liberty nickels.

$100/month is actually a surprisingly useful budget. I bought a lot of coins on even less money for several lean years!

• Administrator

Hi Beck...a $100 monthly coin budget gives you many ways to enjoy this great hobby..

1. Have you considered assembling a nice album--like buffalo nickels for example?- the later dates can be bought in BU for under $100 and almost the whole set can be assembled (except for a small number) for well under $100 each..other circulated series..Mercuries, Walker short sets...etc..

2. Thematic sets are also fun...I collect coins with sailing ships (I live on the Ches. Bay and love the water) RI Al collects music themed coins, Rey6 collects railroad/railway themed coins... I can often add 2-3 coins a month to my set for a total expense of $100 or less--that's a pretty big collection in just a few years...

Most of all, pick what you love the most---if you really like one design more than others, then focus on that set with the nicest coins for the grade/money you can get...if it's a themed set, what else are you passionate about ( I guarantee that there are coins commemorating it-the hunt is half the fun for me).....if you love them all?...then you sound like a type-set kind of collector...

Whatever you decide, remember to collect what you enjoy....worry as to their investment value in 20 years...

I pretty much agree with the others. Collect what you enjoy and don't get hung up on buying everything the mint has to offer UNLESS you really enjoy those items. On $100 a month if you buy all the new stuff the mint offers, you still could not afford everything; and you would not have any money left for anything else. I have a much higher collecting budget than you do, and I can't afford to buy all of that new mint stuff. (shrug)

I might suggest looking at type coins. You get a sampling of most everything, and along the way you might find a series that really interests you enough get into them more deeply.

Here are links to my type sets. I've been working on these sets for more than 35 years, so don't feel too overwelmed. It took me a long time to get here. There is a photo for every coin and historical notes for most of them.

Bill Jones type set cents to silver dollars

Bill Jones' gold coin type set

Funny you should ask this question. Just today I was deciding that I have just too many different collections going on;

U.S. type, music topical, Tibet, Peru, Yugoslavia, currency from Peru, currency from Yugoslavia, world crowns, hard times tokens,(only about 10 of those)...I finally sold my Albania collection, but it has all gotten to be too much. I need to limit my areas of interest. Don't do what I did (do). Find one or 2 areas that you love and stick with those. I'm all over the map and trying to decide what to cut. THAT'S the hard part.

i too had far too many coins in collections. i think 1-3 sets at a time is good due to you may not find the one coin for the one set for a while. so right now im doing 1955 pf cameo set, and a 1879 s grade set. the rest are either going or being put on hold till i finish a set.

but if YOU are comfy collecting many many sets then do so. any numismatic road is a good one. (just not always smooth road)

I was wondering if it would be possible to buy early American coins with only spending about $100 dollars monthly on coins that would go up in value over time.

It's certainly possible to buy "early" American coins on a $100/month budget, but whether they'll go up in value over time is anyone's guess.

You might want to start by buying a Red Book (or looking at a website like coinfacts.com) and seeing what's out there.

You might also want to put some thought into what you want to spend per coin on average - $10, $50, $100 or more.

Back when I was building my collection I used to only buy one or two good coins a year. Back then $1,000 when about has far as $5 or $6 thousand today or more. The least coins from the 1800 to 1808 era are the half cents. The large cents are more common, but there are more collectors, and they have taken a lot of coins off the market. The half cents are not easy to find either. The best place to find them is at the EAC (Early American Coppers) convention in recent years.

It takes commitment to build a collection of really nice collectors coins, but the rewards are great. As for future value, I can't say. I've done well, but markets change. And who knows what might happen the future.

Years ago General Motors was "blue chip" stock. When I worked for AT&T it was the largest company in the world. Now it exists in name only. It's amazing how fast things can change.

On a budget of $100 per month, you can put together an exceptionally attractive half-cent set. Even 18th century coins can be had for $100 (admittedly, not so attractive), and those dated 1800 through 1808 can be had in nice shape for just $100. Finally, you could save two month's budget and buy UNC later-date coins!

If you want to pursue something not-quite-so-early, try two-cents, three-cents and Liberty nickels.

$100/month is actually a surprisingly useful budget. I bought a lot of coins on even less money for several lean years!

(thumbs u

also many pre 1865 coins are surprisingly reasonable in nice collector grades of vf xf even au and maybe some unc coins just pick ones that have great eye appeal and original surfaces !!

a great type set gets you many neat coins that is an overview of american coinage

also dont forget colonials and many decent looking colonial coins are available for 100 dollars and under and by colonial coins i will consider anything that circulated and of course struck in america pre 1792

good luck and ask anything you want on here or show some of the coins you might be considering for your collection and i am sure you can get some good points to help you on your way and to make less mistakes (learning expereinces, tuition or whatever you call it) and help you thinkand make better decisions and maybe save you for some costly mistakes

good luck

pm me anytime if you want some opinions on any coins you are considering or any other questions you might have

you can buy killer great eye appeal exceptional coins in the good vg to fine range that are earlier but these coins would be the great exception rather than the rule as the more circulation ie. below fine the earlier coins get the more problems they seem to have also with more surface issues and eye appeal problems

You can be like me and accumulate coins..(not recommended :insane: )

I mainly collect (well, accumulate rather) gold coins from around the world and the US. I have a problem with collection a series of coins, I guess it is because I would rather have a large variaty than have a bunch of the same to fill in a set. This also allows me to avoid the key date coins.

I also try to specialize in counterfeit detection with gold coins, although I have to admit lately I've been rather dumb about it, I thought some phillipono coins I had were counterfeit, based on what I learned, but in fact they were just worn! Oh I feel so stupid now... :blush:(shrug)

It took me a couple years to figure out what I really wanted to focus on collecting. I started out buying lots of different coins like you. I have a small budget like you also. Now I only collect Franklin's, mainly varieties/errors. You can put together a nice BU Franklin set for your budget, raw or certified.